cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Too many connections for hub 3

oldmanpete
Tuning in

My hub3 randomly drops connections, I have a basic smart home, plugs, lights, cameras etc.

I had an engineer come out and he said it looks like too many fighting for the 5ghz and suggested the hub 5 but he couldn't install one, he suggested ringing CS, I can't spilt the 2.5/5ghz as I have a WiFi Pod upstairs ( house is a full brick build ) because the connection is absolutely rubbish, I'm on  M200 and I get 5Mbps upstairs on the phone S22 ultra.

Do I need the hub 5 and will it support VoIP now.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As you have a solid built property, it might be better to look at a Mesh system to distribute the signals.

Unfortunately a decent one will most likely cost upwards of £150.

Have a read of reviews really would be the best advice.

Personally I use a non wifi router and PoE access points, but that's just my preference.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

12 REPLIES 12

g0akc
Problem sorter

I thought VM were only allocating Hub 5 units to those on the most expensive (1Gig) packages?

If you can twist their arm fair enough - otherwise I suggest you look at getting your own decent kit - and if the pod is rented save the money on that.

Use the hub 3 in modem mode 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

From memory there is a thread here about the Hub 5 apparently failing DHCP over too many devices, so don't hold out hopes on that front perhaps?

If you have a lot of IoT, I would suggest modem mode and a well reviewed 3rd party router, Asus, Netgear, Unifi, Draytek etc.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

I'm lucky enough to signed up to volt with 02 so I can have 3 pods without any charge, I might look into a new router and use hub3 as the modem.

Thanks.

Thanks for the info, it's been a long time since I actually paid for a router, dial up was the last time, yes I know a really really long time ago, have you any good suggestions around the Hundred pound area. Cheaper would be better lol.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As you have a solid built property, it might be better to look at a Mesh system to distribute the signals.

Unfortunately a decent one will most likely cost upwards of £150.

Have a read of reviews really would be the best advice.

Personally I use a non wifi router and PoE access points, but that's just my preference.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

A Mesh is a good solution. Look at the TP-Link S4 or M4 or M5 - these are well regarded on here - a 2/3-pack should be  ~£100. Make sure any you get has 1GB ethernet ports (those three do).

You could always attach them to the VM Hub in "bridge" mode - with the Hub left as is in nprmal router mode and use the pods as well - albeit the TP-Link is a far better router.,

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Just looking at the M4 AC1200 mesh 3 pack now, it has a cable connection so can I bypass the hub 3 so I don't need to run it in modem mode or will I still have to run it in modem mode because I have Voip.

TP-Link are well known to use DHCP broadcast reply mode as do some other routers and VM seem to **bleep**(really c-o-c-k is a bleep! I could do so much better:)) this up by blocking it for modem mode from posts I have seen in newer hubs after this happened back with the SH2.

---------------------------------------------------------------

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Someone else should comment... but my pal has the M5 Deco 3-pack. He is on Plusnet (I think) so cant do modem mode at all with their Hub. So he just plugged the first Deco into one of the Plusnet router ports on an ethernet cable, registered it on the TP-Link website and then connected it all up on wifi to the other units via the App. He said it was the simplest thing he has ever done and it all works perfectly. I think its the "default" connection mode for the Decos.

So his Hub is still in normal router mode.

EDIT:  Just remembered.... another Pal on VM did the same set up and its working fine.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.