cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Timecapsule trouble shooting with VM Hub + Mesh Network

sstave01
On our wavelength

Basic setup is a VM Hub 5 and 3x Linksys Velop mesh network nodes. 

1. Let's cover the ethernet connections first:

VM hub ethernet port 1 is connected to 1x mesh node, the "parent" (and the 2x other nodes connected wirelessly as "child" nodes)
port 2 is connected to a Devolo powerline network plug which provides ok network in the outdoor shed
port 3 is connected to a Synology NAS

2. Now the wireless set up:

VM hub broadcasting the default SSID (VM6936)
Mesh nodes broadcasting custom SSID (Whistlestop)
Most of the devices across the house are connected to Whistlestop

3. And the challenge:

Synology NAS connected directly to VM Hub also acts as a file server and a Time Capsule. 
Unless the wireless devices are on the VM hub wifi (VM6936) they cannot see the NAS or connect to the Time Capsule. Soon as I switch to the Whistlestop SSID, I can see the NAS in Finder and TimeCapsule works.

This challenge is currently prohibiting me from switching off the VM hub wifi as without connecting to that hub wifi, I can't get TimeCapsule to work on my iMac/Macbook over wifi.

Appreciate any thoughts, ideas!!  

11 REPLIES 11

sstave01
On our wavelength

Sorry can't seem to edit the post - just to clarify one of the sentences was incorrect! 

"Soon as I switch to the Whistlestop SSID, I cannot see the NAS in Finder and TimeCapsule doesn't work".

So basically, if I am out in the outdoor shed (my office!) with my MacBook and connected wirelessly to Whistlestop, I can't see any of the files on the NAS and the TimeCapsule doesn't backup. I'm too far away from the hub to pick up the VM wifi.

When I want to backup the MacBook or access any of the files on the NAS, I have to come back into the house, switch to the VM wifi and leave the machine there to complete the time capsule back up.

I'm hoping there is some config option to allow devices on either wifi network to "see" each other rather than having to get more hardware! 

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Looks like the Velop is in router mode, so you have 2 subnets 192.168.0.x for the VM hub and probably 192.168.1.x for the Velop. There is no routing between the subnets, so that’s your problem.

You should have the VM hub in modem mode so you only have one subnet, but you will then get no WiFi from the VM hub, you must use the WiFi from the Velop.

VM hub ——-> Velop master unit ——-> network switch.  ———> outside

———-> NAS

———> other wired devices

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

This is actually quite understandable, depending on how you have set the Velops up!

If the ‘master’ unit is in router mode, or whatever Linksys refer to it as, then effectively you have two separate networks, yes devices attached to both will all be able to access the internet, but they can’t talk to each other - technically you have two separate subnets with no routing between them.

Now there are a couple of options here, but the best is to see if the Velops (and I don’t have one, so I can’t be of much more help) can be switched into ‘access point mode’ so that they don’t behave as a separate network but rather an extension of the VMxxxx network.

Edit : crossed post with Tudor above, whose solution is the other way to do it, but it does mean that your Synology and Powerline adapter can’t then be plugged into the VM hub.

sstave01
On our wavelength

Thanks Tudor - can I check one point quickly, do you know if I put the VM hub into modem mode do I lose all the Ethernet ports bar one? More than happy to just use the Mesh wifi but was hoping to use some of the ports from the hub to the TV etc next to the hub. 
The Velop mesh nodes only have two ports and the parent node uses one of those to get the signal from the VM hub. 
Guess that’s why the need for a switch? 

sstave01
On our wavelength

Thanks - I can see an option to put the Velop into bridge mode in the network settings. Presumably this would have the same outcome as an access point would it??

Yes ‘bridge mode’ is what you need. Once you do that, you may need to reboot every device which is connected to the Velop, and I’m not sure if switching it will also reset it so you lose the SSID it is broadcasting and have to set that up again.

Bit of a case of ‘suck it and see’, as they say!

John

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Modem mode on the hub does mean you only have one Ethernet port available, but the hub will have less load and works much more efficiently in this mode. It’s the reason why there is a network switch in my ‘diagram’, it gives you back all the ‘lost’ ports.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

sstave01
On our wavelength

Thank you again for your help!

I think it might be “better” to retain the VM hub as primary router and put the Velop node into bridge mode. I’m worried about any port forwarding I might have which allows access to Hive, NAS, Ring and alarm system etc all remotely. 
Does it matter which one I put into bridge mode? 

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you can put the port forwarding rules into the Velop and run the VM hub in router mode, that’s the best option, otherwise change the Velop from router mode to bridge mode.

Tudor