cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

There's a network issue which maybe affecting your broadband service

ambageo
Tuning in

Hi all, I'm having issues with my broadband connection, at least 2 weeks now. I'm supposed to have a 100 Mbps connection, but I'm getting only 6-14 at all times. Some other times I can't even get a webpage to load. About a week ago I managed to chat to someone from Virgin, I went to 192.168.0.1 and changed a couple of settings as per their instructions but the situation didn't get any better.

I have currently passed half an hour with the BOT and I'm currently waiting for over half an hour to be connected with someone. 

I was wondering if anyone can help with the issue, either by solving or telling me how to get in touch with a technician.

TIA,

George

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
My son says wifi is the work of Satan. He will only ever use ethernet connection for his gaming activities. There is a germ of truth in the statement as wifi is notoriously subject to many interferences and fluctuations - there are sticky posts on this forum that talk to that and every other post on here seems to be a wifi issue.

If yours is a wifi only issue, then on a Hub3, you can try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings and at the same time switch off "channel optimisation" apply and save the settings. All wifi devices will need reconnecting to the best SSID at each location. Also use a wifi scanning App to find the best wifi channels to use (just select and use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz) - this often helps Hub3 users get better wifi performance with 5GHz delivering the faster speeds and the 2.4 one having greater range - but its still no substitute for getting better kit than the VM Hub 🙂

To address the wifi, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (not “boosters”). Pods are free (so worth trying)  to customers on 1GB or Ultimate Oomph packages - is that you? If not you will be charged £5/month - and at that level of investment you would soon pay off that cost by buying a "better" wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever and which will cure all your wifi problems.

I did that >20 years ago and never have a single wifi issue

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Have you checked first for “known network faults”

As well as trying the “check service,” Area status webpage" (link at top right of this forum), also try the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually gives the most up to date info. and tells you of more local issues down to postcode level.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi, I have checked (both from Area status webpage and through the phone) and there are no issues in my area.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
What Hub model is it (on the base sticker) and what devices are you using to connect?

Are they connecting on the 5GHz frequency or the slower 2.4GHz one?

Can you check speeds on a computer/laptop connected directly into the Hub on a (new) ethernet cable?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I’m not at the house at the moment, however I checked the speed with a laptop, sitting in front of the hub (Hub 3) and I got 102Mbps. At the same time, the speed on my computer upstairs was 14Mbps. So it seems that even when I have a correct speed, I lose most of it upstairs. 
Although this may make sense, it doesn’t. I’m with Virgin almost 3 years, having my computers and the hub on the exact same places but I never had issues with the WiFi signal. It seems that somehow it has become really weak and I can’t get a decent speed upstairs. 
I think I have an old WiFi repeater, I’ll try to use it and see how it goes. 
Nevertheless, my internet speed is not stable, regardless of the WiFi. 

Update: I just checked the speed upstairs twice (wifi) and it was 61Mbps and 74Mbps. So, as I said, it seems that the WiFi is unreliable.

I just checked the settings and the Hub is connected on 2.4 and 5 GHz. Also, there's 6 devices connected wirelessly in total, but no more than 2-3 are used simultaneously at any given time.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
My son says wifi is the work of Satan. He will only ever use ethernet connection for his gaming activities. There is a germ of truth in the statement as wifi is notoriously subject to many interferences and fluctuations - there are sticky posts on this forum that talk to that and every other post on here seems to be a wifi issue.

If yours is a wifi only issue, then on a Hub3, you can try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings and at the same time switch off "channel optimisation" apply and save the settings. All wifi devices will need reconnecting to the best SSID at each location. Also use a wifi scanning App to find the best wifi channels to use (just select and use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz) - this often helps Hub3 users get better wifi performance with 5GHz delivering the faster speeds and the 2.4 one having greater range - but its still no substitute for getting better kit than the VM Hub 🙂

To address the wifi, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (not “boosters”). Pods are free (so worth trying)  to customers on 1GB or Ultimate Oomph packages - is that you? If not you will be charged £5/month - and at that level of investment you would soon pay off that cost by buying a "better" wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever and which will cure all your wifi problems.

I did that >20 years ago and never have a single wifi issue

--------------------
John
--------------------