cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Free Hub 4 Email

bbarryp
Tuning in

Hi all,

It seems from reading here that this is an issue that has been going on for some time. (years)

I received an email telling me that my router was old & I could get a free upgrade to Hub 4. (Which seems quite an old router anyway.) Why not?

I followed the link & chose a delivery date this week but have received no confirmation of a delivery.

My attempts to answer this question this morning failed as I was passed to WhatsApp then from bot to bot(?) & none of them seemed to understand what I was asking. My broadband package is M250 & I currently have a Hub 3. It works fine, so I'm not inconvenienced but what is going on with this? It seems other people have had similar experiences.

Thanks for any advice!

Barry.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

lotharmat
Community elder
Stick with the Hub 3 - the hub 4 is only necessary if you have 1Gb/s.

It's worse in some respects than the Hub 3

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

lotharmat
Community elder
Stick with the Hub 3 - the hub 4 is only necessary if you have 1Gb/s.

It's worse in some respects than the Hub 3

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

Hi Lothar,

Thanks for the advice. I was beginning to suspect something like this from my reading here.

Cheers,

Barry.

@bbarryp wrote:

Hi Lothar,

Thanks for the advice. I was beginning to suspect something like this from my reading here.

Cheers,

Barry.

I had a HUB3 then 4 now 5.

If you use modem mode, the HUB4 is better over the HUB 3. Firstly it will use DocSIS 3.1 even on your (non gig1 tier), secondly the chipset is faster so it basically masks the Puma chipset latency issue and I found slightly higher SNR figures than the HUB3 which indicates a more sensitive modem chipset.

Lotharmat is correct that in some areas, probably where there is noise, this can affect HUB4 stability / sync and I didn't use the HUB4 in router mode only modem mode. I didn't have issues with mine getting hot or even hearing a fan operating but there were some faulty HUB4 with noisy fans reported - may have been a batch.

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @bbarryp thanks for your post here in the Community although we're sorry to hear of your concerns raised with your upgrade.

Please allow me to send you a PM so I can look into things further for you.

Kindly expect the PM from me to arrive shortly and respond directly when you can!

Many thanks

Tom_W

Ho would someone separate the modem & router functions between two units? I don't get that, sorry.

Cheers,
Barry.