Menu
jbrennand
Wise owl
Message 21 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Re: Terrible intermittent connection on all devices

@Thearchitect93 wrote:

I came on here today to see if anyone had bothered to reply to me (no one has)

OK - here is my "general" post trying to help folks who have connection issues.  I appreciate that you may have tried all these and are maybe beyond this and your issue could be due to longstanding network problems - but here goes - see if there is anything in here you havent tried yet.  Sorry if its a bit mickey mouse for you.

---

My standard blurb, others please add in as appropriate.

Firstly, are your internet connection problems limited to the wifi networks – that is, if you connect a computer or laptop via ethernet cable do you still have the problem?

If you do still have the issue on a cable then its probable that there is a fault either on the network or in your Hub.  First thing is to do a factory reset of the Hub with a pin in the hole and set it up from scratch again.  If the problem persists we (not me!)  need to check the signal levels.  if you could go to   http://192.168.0.1  (or http://192.168.100.1 ) click on the  “router status” button -at  top right - or bottom- of page depending on which hub you have [there should be no need to login – but again depending on hub] and then copy/paste the downstream, upstream , &  network logs on here.  Don't worry about the formatting we can easily read it but try and avoid using screen shots & don’t include personal data or mac addresses.  If there looks to be a network problem, a VM Forum staff member on here will organise a technician visit or you may be quicker calling the help line.

If the issue is just restricted to the wifi part of the networks, then next, check the “pink” post at the top of this board about improving your wifi signal and by using a wifi analyser on your computer or phone see if there is local network interference that you can get around by changing networks and/or channels.

If that doesn’t improve things and you have a Hub3, ensure that you have renamed the 2.4 & 5 GHz networks (ask how if you need to) as they will have been assigned the same names (ssid’s) out of the box and this can confuse devices, causing dropouts.

If the problem is still there, put the Hub into modem mode and attach your own (or borrowed) wireless router or wifi access point and see if that restores your wifi.  If it does, then you can either leave it like that (sorted) or lobby VM to supply you with a new Hub.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes, Superhub2 with VIVID 200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Thearchitect93
Tuning in
Message 22 of 34
Flag for a moderator

"you may have tried all these and are maybe beyond this and your issue could be due to longstanding network problems"

Ding ding ding we have a winner! If I hadn't tried this after 2 years of issues, 40 phone calls to technical support and 10 Engineers then I don't think I'd have the mental capacity to turn a computer on.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Wise owl
Message 23 of 34
Flag for a moderator

OK - Apologies for trying to help, I promise not to make the same mistake twice.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes, Superhub2 with VIVID 200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 24 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Hi Thearchitect93,

I have spent the past hour or so thoroughly testing your connection and can find no fault. 

The segment has no errors and is noise free.

Your Hub has not flapped and all power levels are optimal.

There are no timeouts and the most recent Hub online session has been uninterrupted for over 16 hours.

As visiting engineers have failed to find any fault, and replacement Hubs have already been tried, I shall decline with following those avenues of support.

The only advice I can offer at this point is to separate the wireless frequencies (for Wifi related disconnections):

• Access your Hub by navigating to 192.168.0.1
  • Login with the default login info (on base of Hub) unless you've already updated it.
  • Go to Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security
  • Under Wireless Frequency 2.4GHz change the Wifi Network Name (SSID) and the Wifi password (network key).
  • Repeat for the Wireless Frequency 5GHz and click on Apply changes.*
    *Make sure that both frequencies are named differently and are still identifiable (adding 2.4 and 5 to the end of each should suffice).

In your original post you state: " 5 or 6 times a day the connection drops completely, sometimes for 10 minutes and sometimes for several hours..." Your Hub and the CMTS itself offer no evidence of these disconnections.

If they continue I would respectfully ask you to record dates and times - include which devices dropped connection, whether wired or wireless, and what the Hub lights were doing at the time - and we'll re-test again specifically cross-referencing with your recorded instances.

Regards,

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
Thearchitect93
Tuning in
Message 25 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Well I can tell you that no matter what your equipment is telling you, I have been without internet connection for almost 48 hours now. Technical support has already walked me through your advice.

I am angry past the point of words.

I don’t know what to do.

18 months without decent internet despite some of the highest rates for ANY broadband package. 

What would you do in my situation? Calmly and quietly wait weeks or months for any sort of contact or help from support? Decide internet isn’t worth the money? Scream? Pursue legal action? 

Honestly, someone just do or say something I was told on my first phone call to technical support or after my first engineer visit, years ago.

I have been offered no unique help after the first week and that was almost 2 years ago.

The education, entertainment and livelyhood of everyone in my household has been on hold because you are unable to fix this issue.

What can I do? Or better put, what are YOU going to do?

0 Kudos
Sgh1970
Joining in
Message 26 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Having the same problem every day , starting to get sick of it , when it works it's great but every day it dissappears , been with virgin since the ntl days but seriously considering moving now . 

0 Kudos
Thearchitect93
Tuning in
Message 27 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Is there anyone employed by virgin media who is able to help me? I’ve been asking for help for 2 years and so far the best information I’ve got is “it’s been 3 weeks since you last talked to us, I hope there has been an improvement”.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 28 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Hi Thearchitect93, 

Many thanks for getting back in touch, the hub appears to be offline currently but the general connection seems to be ok from this side. 

It may help to pop the Hub back on if it is currently offline and let us know when you have done so. We can then re-check the connection. 

Take care. 

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Thearchitect93
Tuning in
Message 29 of 34
Flag for a moderator

This is exactly the problem, all connection is lost many times a day for the last 2 years. I did not turn the hub off, it loses all connection all by itself.

I have had 3 separate hubs and they have all had the same problem. 9 engineers have visited my property and not fixed the issues I am having. I have rang technical support over 50 times and they haven’t helped in the slightest.

The past week I haven’t had more than 10 minutes of internet. This is a disgrace. No one is having any meaningful conversation with me, I’ve been left in the dark and it is such a struggle to get in contact with anyone.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 30 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Afternoon Thearchitect93,

Thanks for posting back here.

I am so sorry for how long this issue has been ongoing for. I can imagine how frustrating this must be.

Looking at your account, I can see you have arranged for another engineer to take a look into this. 

Let us know how the visit goes please.

Take care

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos