Menu
Thearchitect93
Tuning in
Message 1 of 35
Flag for a moderator

Terrible intermittent connection on all devices

Hi, I was wondering if someone could help me. I've been with virgin for about 18 months now and I've had terrible connection problems the whole time. I have 350mb optical fibre and the newest hub, but 5 or 6 times a day the connection drops completely, sometimes for 10 minutes and sometimes for several hours.

I've rang up about this well over 20 times at this point but I just get put through the same cycle of "everything looks good on our end", "we've changed some settings and everything will work %100". Once in a while I'll get an engineer out but I'm currently waiting for my 6th engineer at the moment and I feel like its dejavu all over again. All the engineers say everything looks fine, give me a new hub and then leave.

I'm at my wits end and I don't know what to do at this point. When the internet is working properly the speeds are great and gaming/streaming is top quality. But when it cuts out everything just stops. The virgin helpline has been less help than flock of birds and the engineers seem clueless to the issues.

I've stayed with virgin this long because the speeds are good (when they actually work) and the prices are decent, but at this point if it doesn't get fixed relatively soon then I'm going to switch providers because I don't want to pay for a service that I am not receiving! Imagine if I only payed virgin media half of the time and simply apologized for the inconvenience!!

0 Kudos
vircom
Super solver
Message 2 of 35
Flag for a moderator

Re: Terrible intermittent connection on all devices

Is this only wifi, or do you also have problems with a wired connection?
0 Kudos
Thearchitect93
Tuning in
Message 3 of 35
Flag for a moderator

Both, my computer is wired and my phone and tablet are wireless and they all lose connection at the same time.
0 Kudos
vircom
Super solver
Message 4 of 35
Flag for a moderator

Sounds like a potential line problem? May help the experts if you post a copy of your downstream, upstream and system logs from your hub. Also set up a BQM monitor, use the search function to find out how to set this up.
0 Kudos
normanmrc
Joining in
Message 5 of 35
Flag for a moderator

My situation is identical to yours for months now, many new routers and repeated engineer visits with over twenty calls. My internet is even down now for hours  on and off, and I've had to pay for mobile data equal to my Virgin media bill! 

0 Kudos
Thearchitect93
Tuning in
Message 6 of 35
Flag for a moderator

I'm sorry but I'm not very computer savvy and don't quite understand this, can you tell me what is meant by this?

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Rebecca_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 7 of 35
Flag for a moderator

Hi Thearchitect93,

Thanks for getting in touch and Welcome to the Community! Smiley Happy 

I've taken a look at your account and can see that you've called in since you last posted. How have things been since? 

I've ran some diagnostics and can't see any power level issues at the moment and the Network in your area looks good too. 

I'm hoping this means things have improved for you now? 

Take care 

Rebecca 

Forum Team

New around here? Find out more about the Community by checking our "Getting started guide"

0 Kudos
Thearchitect93
Tuning in
Message 8 of 35
Flag for a moderator

There has been no change whatsoever and I am still getting many drops in all internet connections several times a day.

I’ve rang technical support more times than I can count I keep getting the same scripted “I made a few changes and now everything is fine I garuntee 100%” and when I tell them this is a recurring issue they say “what do you want me to do?” (Yes, this is a real and direct quote I’ve received more than once).

This is honestly becoming a joke now, I’ve been with virgin media for about 18 months and I havent had a proper connection for a single 24 hour period ever.

Moreover, the ability to talk with someone who throws more than a few scripted lines at me is impossible.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 35
Flag for a moderator

Hello Thearchitect93, 

Thanks for keeping in touch and sorry to hear that you're still struggling with this. I've read up and I can see that you're using a wireless connection. It might be that you're experiencing wireless inference, in which case the issues are often out of our control caused by environmental factors. I would be interested in knowing how your hard-wired network performs. 

Hope to hear back from you soon, 

Take care. 

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Thearchitect93
Tuning in
Message 10 of 35
Flag for a moderator

I experience the same issues with both wired and wireless connections.

0 Kudos