cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tends mw3 and slow wifi

Rajanm78
Joining in

Hi everyone

I have just had the 100 Mbps service installed.

I've hooked it up to my tenda mw3 mesh and while the signal is much more consistent around my house, the speed is pretty slow. I'm getting between 30 and 70mbps.

I have tried various combinations of setting the hub to modem mode and the tendas to DHCP. I've also kept the hub 3 in router mode, turned the WiFi off and set the tenda to bridge mode.

I'm not sure what else to do. When I connect to the hub directly I'm getting speeds of over 100 Mbps. The WiFi at the moment seems slower than my Plusnet which I also set up with the tendas.

Would buying a single mw6 and setting that up as a primary node solve the problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sayekm
Fibre optic
This is a lowend mesh kit designed to just reach just minimum Wi-Fi around the house.

At that price should be happy you got 30mbs+ 🙂

Like my BT mesh kit this Tenda does not have a built in modem so you leave the Hub3 as router and just disable the Wi-Fi
----------------------------------------------------------
M125 Volt powered by TP-Link Archer AX55

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

VM-Jon
Forum Team
Forum Team
Hi,

Firstly i believe the MW3 only has 10oMbps ethernet ports so you will never really get close to full speed.
Also over wifi, even mesh you will lose speed so this looks about right for that set up to me.

On a personal not i had a tenda system and found them very slow, in the end i took it back to the shop and bought a Linksys triband system.

Here to help! I'm an install manager helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Not familiar with the Tenda, but either of those combinations should work and the speeds are not really bad for 100Mb connection. 

First thing to check is that your devices are using the 5GHz band wherever possible.  And try different channels in case you are getting interference from neighbours' WiFi. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Should I set the hub to router mode and disable the 2.4ghz band?  How can I get devices to just connect to the 5ghz band?

sayekm
Fibre optic
This is a lowend mesh kit designed to just reach just minimum Wi-Fi around the house.

At that price should be happy you got 30mbs+ 🙂

Like my BT mesh kit this Tenda does not have a built in modem so you leave the Hub3 as router and just disable the Wi-Fi
----------------------------------------------------------
M125 Volt powered by TP-Link Archer AX55

What would be a better option for faster speeds?

I have a Linksys velop tri band system, sadly it was £250 but i get 200meg all around my house.

Here to help! I'm an install manager helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

Z92
Trouble shooter

@Rajanm78 wrote:

What would be a better option for faster speeds?

That depends on what your budget, environment, and expectations are. A £50 router can beat a VM Hub, a £100 D-Link DIR‑2660 will easily max out a 100mbps broadband package. I've installed them in friends houses and they've had no WiFi problems since. 

Would I get better speeds having the router in modem mode and the tenda as DHCP?  Or is it better to have the tenda as a bridge and the router in normal mode with WiFi switched off?

Do they provide good coverage?  Our house is about 1500 sq ft and we always have issues in our loft room at the very top