cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tenda Nova MW6 Connects but super slow wifi and ethernet

monkeyshoveler
Settling in

Hi team

I have the SH3 in modem mode, light is magenta/pink and I have the main node of the MW3 plugged into the bottom ethernet port of the SH3. I can get a signal fine, but wifi is super slow. I've got a secondary node upstairs and the wifi from that is excruciatingly slow. I've tried hard wiring into the MW3 upstairs and that is just as slow, so I'm confused.

SH3 is definitely in modem mode and wifi is definitely turned off.

If anybody else has had similar, please help me out!

10 REPLIES 10

MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta

What is your contracted speed ?

What speeds do you get at >> speedtest.net << with a direct connection using a Cat 5E or better ethernet cable between the Hub in Router Mode and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook and no other devices connected ?

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.

Thanks!

Contracted speed is 200MB

When connected direct to hub in router mode via ethernet, I get full 200MB, even 210MB using speediest.net

It's only when I switch to modem mode with MW6 that speeds drastically drop.

The MW6 isn't a very good device and not well reviewed on here and elsewhere.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Just did another test and plugged ethernet direct into first node on MW6 and got near enough same speeds as direct to router. So far so good.

Tried it upstairs on secondary node and again, got good speeds through ethernet.

Waited 5mins and speeds dropped again even though I haven't touched the settings or controls on the SH3 or Tenda! It's what I've been getting all along before I invested in the mesh system, just very sporadic wifi and ethernet speeds.

I've got an MW-6 3 node setup and experience the same problems i.e. speeds initially good (400Mbps+) but then randomly drop to around 60Mbps after a short while. All nodes are connected via CAT6 to the main network and the system is setup in bridge mode to allow connected clients to use our Sonos, etc. Rebooting the system normally restores the speeds temporarily.

The kids occasionally receive messages telling them that the node they're trying to connecting to has too many connections and the system can be slow to switch nodes when roaming. Another bugbear is that the power cables are pitifully short which makes it hard to place the cubes in their optimal locations.

It was cheap and it works OK most of the time but I'll probably upgrade to a faster/more reliable system in a few months. If you're still able to return yours, you might be as well to do so now.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
As alternatives, look at the TP-Link Deco M4 or M5 unit 3-packs. They are well regarded by users on here

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi. Just reading up on this as I have had some minor issues also. We have Virgin Superhub, entrance point is at the front of the house, which is an old fashioned end terrace, so not huge, but fairly substantial walls.
We have always suffered with wifi black spots on the backside of the house, so the Alexa in the kitchen regularly drops out, and my daughter suffers for wifi on her phone and smart tv.
We took up the option of Virgin wifi boosters, but these didn’t really solve the issue, so I purchased a Tenda Nova M3 setup from ebay. I found it quite easy to install, and instantly the black spots have gone, however I have run speed tests over the last week at varying times of day (to factor out peak internet traffic), and I’m only seeing typically 40-60mb/s, despite being on the 500 package. 
Whilst in understand the speed is never really going to always be hitting peak range, I did expect better than that. Is this limited by the M3, and would an alternative see better speeds? Or is this speed drop off generic to wifi mesh setups? 
I am happy with the better coverage, but would have liked the speed also. Is it a trade off?

The Tenda's aren't great and never seem to give anyone decent speeds

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

I got fed up with the Tendas and recently bought an Eero Pro system, which was on sale at a reduced price on Amazon. The results are like night and day. We now have full reliable coverage all over the house and garden. Speeds range from 120Mbps to 550Mbps, depending on exact location and we haven't had any wifi dropouts so far, to my knowledge.