cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV glitching and broadband dropping out

sitereportuk
On our wavelength

Throughout today, I've been having issues with the TV glitching and broadband dropping out (no internet). I've rebooted the router, TV box, etc multiple times and run a test via the VM website and an appointment was made for Thursday am. However, I've received no confirmation of the appointment and I'm unsure whether the engineer will turn up or not. As I'm working from home, stable internet connection is vital. This isn't a wifi issue... I'm fully aware of the issue with the hub so use that in modem mode and have some Deco M5s to ensure wifi is good throughout my house. How can I check if there's my appointment has been made please? Thanks in advance.

55 REPLIES 55

@jbrennand wrote:

@risc19 wrote:

I'll flag this for virgin to take a look at, you will need a technician to attend.

How are you doing the "flagging"?

Left hand side under your profile pic

"Flag for moderator"

Many thanks. We have an engineer booked for Tuesday afternoon. Not sure I’ll survive the families wrath ‘til then though. Good to know there’s a likely cause. The connection has been solid for 3 or 4 months and then all of a sudden this issue has arisen. Have you any idea what the likely cause is? Will the engineer fix outside the property or inside? Thanks in advance. 

It may just have been them working in the cabinet and connected you to a different tap.

Cabinet amp could be failing.

Could be corrosion/loose connect somewhere along the line.

Break along the line.

Could just be be sods law.

We may never find out, but as long as it gets fixed who cares.

He may need to go inside it depends on where/what the problem is.

Good luck with your visit.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, you’re right. Don’t really need to know the cause as long as it’s fixed. I’ll post once the engineer has been. 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@risc19 wrote:

@jbrennand wrote:

@risc19 wrote:

I'll flag this for virgin to take a look at, you will need a technician to attend.

How are you doing the "flagging"?

Left hand side under your profile pic

"Flag for moderator"

Ahh.... that's really designed to get a quick response from a Moderator to quickly "moderate" some aspect of the post (rudeness/personal info/irrelevance/etc).  I don't  "think"  they can look at connections.

VIP's can "Escalate" (I usually say "flag" as its shorter) posts for the attention of the VM Forum Staff to take a look at the connection issues themselves after we on here have done all we can to help.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Would the low power also cause TV glitches?

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@sitereportuk wrote:

Would the low power also cause TV glitches?

Potentially, but not necessarily. Depends what the TV issues are, and whether they're on live TV, recordings or OnDemand, for example.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks.

Live TV. Lots of pixelation. 

E6A1FE87-08FF-4EBE-B87A-B5963E148613.jpeg

Would love to be able to watch on demand content!

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Is that happening with OnDemand or live TV, you've mentioned both?

Pixellation on live TV is generally a signal issue of some kind, but can be other things - loose connection, tuning or decoder issue too.

If that's happening with OnDemand, the TV signals are irrelevant (VoD uses the internet), but the box's decoders could be causing it. My understanding of this thread is that you already have a tech visit booked for Tuesday. It's possible the forum staff will get to this thread before then, but I'd certainly mention it to them - once you're clear whether this is on live TV or VoD.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Sorry for any confusion. The pixelation happens on live TV. I mentioned On Demand purely as I’d love to be able to watch OD but without a stable internet connection, that’s impossible.