cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV and phone in modem mode

rds
Tuning in

Hi Folks, I am intending to use my own router with my Hub 4 in modem mode. I also have my landline and TV package supplied via Virgin will both of these work with the hub in modem mode?

Thanks Roger

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Tavis75
Super solver

Yes, should be fine.

Only issue I've found is that if I enable a VPN on my router then it prevents the TV service connecting to the VM systems (for guide data, apps etc. live TV is fine) as I guess it only accepts connections from devices it sees as being on the VM network.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

Tavis75
Super solver

Yes, should be fine.

Only issue I've found is that if I enable a VPN on my router then it prevents the TV service connecting to the VM systems (for guide data, apps etc. live TV is fine) as I guess it only accepts connections from devices it sees as being on the VM network.

Client62
Legend

Yes it will be fine, telephone and TV services are not affected by use of residential Hubs in either Router or Modem modes.

Thanks for the help, I assume I need to plug the TV LAN connection into my router not the HUB4?

That is right.

Once in Modem mode the VM Hub connects only to your Router via a network cable.

All other TV / PC etc devices are a local area network connected to your Router.

Hi @rds,

Thank you for your posts and welcome back to our community forums. We're here to help.

It looks like the members of the community here have been able to help you with your set up related queries, but please do let us know if there's anything more that you need our help with.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Hi Everyone,

Many thanks to those who have responded so far. Unfortunately I am still having trouble. I have connection from the hub4 (in modem mode) to my router and I can connect all my WiFi equipment. I am unable to get any items connected via ethernet. I was considering changing the IP of my router to 192.168.0.1 (currently it is 192.168.1.1)  is that feasible given that the hub4 should now be on 192.168.100.1?

I'm not really that techy I'm only changing things so I can have 4G failover so my home security system is more robust.

TIA roger

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi Roger,

Once you've connected the hub to your router all the other ethernet ports on the VM hub are disabled.

Therefore you need to attach the ethernet cables to your routers ports.

You also need tos et up your router with the VM hub in the following sequence (if you haven't already)

Put your router into DHCP mode - then remove all cables switch it off at the mains
Put Hub into modem mode - leave it 5 minutes and then switch it off.
Switch your router on - then connect the ethernet cable to the Hub
Switch the Hub on - leave 5-10 mins - and it should now be connected optimally.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Thanks Dave,

I should have mentioned that except for the 'feed' from the hub (port 1) to the router LAN/WAN port all other ethernet connections were to the router.

I Will follow your instructions below as I may not have waited long enough or performed the change in quite the right order.

thanks for the help.

cheers Roger

Hi @rds 

Just checking to see if the advice given by @newapollo was useful? Does the issue persist? 

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs