cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TP Link Switch to Hub 3.0 Issue

allyl90
Tuning in

Hi,

We moved into a new house with some fairly solid walls. The old owner had a previous setup that we tried to use. Summary is below:

Downstairs Study: Hub 3.0 with an ethernet cable to an RJ45 terminal

Upstairs Cupboard:  Hidden cables that terminate at an RJ45 port in the upstairs cupboard. Ethernet cable to TP Link switch; and then other ethernet cables plugged in that go to ports around the rest of the house

The problem I am having is intermittent. Sometimes these ports in the rest of the house work great. Sometimes not at all. I've reset my hub multiple time but with no success. I was wondering if there is some type of configuration I should be doing on the hub to get this working properly.

Many thanks in advance for any help!

6 REPLIES 6

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
I would change as many of the cables as is possible with new Cat6/7 ones and also replace the switch. Try a different output port from the Hub too.

Are you in router mode - or modem mode with your own router ?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Get yourself a router with 1Gb ports to the hub new modem mode then connect the switch to your router.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks so much both for your quick response - so currently my Hub is set to router mode. I also have connected some BT Home Wifi Disks (the problem existed before these were installed) and the Hub needs to be in router mode as the disks don't have any additional ports.

Currently, my setup is:

Port 1: Cat 6 cable into RJ45

Port 2: Cat 6 cable into home laptop

Port 3: Cat 6 cable into kitchen

Port 4: Cat 6 cable into switch upstairs

Port 1-3 are doing exactly what they are supposed to be doing.

I was wondering whether changing any DHCP setting or port forwarding might make a difference. But frankly I am a novice at this and that might completely ridiculous.

Certainly no DHCP or any other setting in the hub need to be adjusted. But I am a little bit confused as to the setup.

So port 2, fine just to a laptop

Port 3 is connected to something in the kitchen, is there an actual device plugged in there or just a wall socket?

Port 4 connects to a socket on the wall near the hub which goes upstairs and emerges as a socket in the cupboard, which is itself connected to the switch.

So what is port 1 connected to?

Any chance you can sketch it out, photograph it and post it up here? 

What you are describing does sound like a phenomenon called a bridging loop.

Hi,

The setup is below. Sorry for the terrible drawing and thanks again for the help. 5FAD653D-CAB8-418F-9412-32EA96987FCC.png

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

A good idea is perhaps to buy a cheap Ethernet cable checker, should cost under £20. You can then check out all the cables and confirm which ones go where.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2