Menu
Yelwaps
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

TP Link Switch connection issues with Super Hub 3

Hi

OK, so I've been enjoying the SH3 for some time now but 4 ethernet connections? 

I need run 3 connections upstairs, 3 connections to the other side of the house and I still need 3 connections in the living room. The joy of Smart TV's, Xbox Gaming and computers.

So I bought two TP Link SG105e (v3's) thinking this would be perfect (5 port Gigabit switch). I run a cable from the SH3 to the other side of the house, connect a switch, this powers the 3 devices, then run a cable from the switch upstairs to another switch and winner, winner chicken dinner?

Nope. Before monitoring cables everywhere, I tested running the cable to the other side of the house, adding 1 switch and connecting the Samsung TV and Xbox One X and it was a disaster. I have a CAT6 cable running to the switch. When the Xbox or TV are plugged directly into this cable, thus directly to the SH3, all is fine. As soon as I introduce the switch, the TV keeps losing its connection and when it's connected it terrible - the wifi connection is somehow fast and far more stable.

Then theres the Xbox. You think all is fine, start playing some COD WW2, enjoying the game and then normally within a few mins max the game suddenly lags and loses connection with the Activision Server.

The lights on the switch shows a green light when the Xbox is connected, indicating a 1000mbps connection with the switch. The TV usually shows an orange light indicating a 10/100mbps connection with the switch. No switch = no speed problems. I have tried both of the switches and I have tried swapping the cables around... I've tried every physical variation I can think of. All the cables support the devices fine when not connecting through the switch. When I look at connections to the SH3 via the SH3 interface, I can see the Xbox, I could see my Mac when I wired it, but for some reason the TV keeps disappearing.

I don't know how to access the switch because TP Link don't appear to offer software for Mac's. Can anybody help me out before I take the switches back?

0 Kudos
legacy1
Legend
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: TP Link Switch connection issues with Super Hub 3

What you now need is a wireless router! and use the hub in modem mode!

Their are issues with the hub 3 and its likely the firmware limits the MAC table per port.

0 Kudos
Yelwaps
Tuning in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Do you have any recommendations?

0 Kudos
legacy1
Legend
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Tudor
Trouble shooter
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Do not agree with what @legacy1 says.

A quick read of the manual for your switch shows that it needs to be configured and if I read it correctly the switch seems to have a default IP address of 192.168.0.1. This of course clashes with the routers (default gateway) address and causes your network to fail. If you cable the switch into a PC, without putting it on the network, you can then run the configuration utility. Try setting the IP address to something like 192.168.0.250. Reconnect to network and see how it goes.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't
Yelwaps
Tuning in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I'll try this, it mirrors something I have read, but I need to get my hands on a Windows machine as TP Link haven't in their wisdom though about those of us who use iMac's etc - I'll let you know how I get on.

0 Kudos
Tudor
Trouble shooter
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Yes that’s the problem with some “consumer” products, they assume you have Windows. I use all business class products that provide setup with most things, two even have iOS apps to configure. 

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't
Yelwaps
Tuning in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

which products do you use?

0 Kudos
legacy1
Legend
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@Tudorwrote:

Do not agree with what @legacy1 says.

That might be it I didn't check if the switches Yelwaps has were Unmanaged or not.

Maybe change the default gateway on the hub not the switch to 192.168.0.254

0 Kudos
Yelwaps
Tuning in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Managed to borrow a wind up HP laptop that I wrapped in a blanket and spoke to it reassuringly... it finally woke up and allowed me to download the software I needed. Changed the IP address to 198.162.0.250 and pointed the DG to the Router. Suddenly the Smart TV came to life and streams 4k/UHD effortlessly, so just need to test the other devices and all going well I'm going to be running cable everywhere.

I am going to add a 2nd switch to the 1st switch... any thoughts on the IP address for this?

I used to build PC about 20 years ago, but I always hated networking with a passion and never got my head around it so I apologise if there is an obvious answer to this question.

0 Kudos