cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TP Link S4 mesh connection to HUB3

allana1310
Tuning in

Hi 

I am trying to set up the S4 TP link with my HUB3 however I cannot get the HUB3 to work in modem mode.

There was a post with some instructions but I honestly couldn't make sense of it... Probably me so sorry for asking again 

Any help will be much appreciated 

Thanks again

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I did do that but as soon as I change to modem mode I loose all internet on the lan ports on the HUB3

When the hub is in modem mode, only one LAN port is active.  If more than one ethernet cable is connected the Hub takes a guess at which to make active. 

If you need devices connected by ethernet cable as well as the mesh system, then you either need to run the hub in router mode but with its wireless signals turned off, and then set the Deco up in "access point" mode, which is easy enough.  Or you can connect the Deco, but on the primary mesh unit connect a ten-fiteen quid "ethernet switch", which is basically an automatic ethernet port replicator.  I'd recommend using the switch myself, because the router of the Hub is a bargain basement affair.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta

To enable modem mode on your Hub 3.0

1. Make sure you are connected (wired or wirelessly) to your Hub 3.0
  2. Open your Internet browser
  3. Log in to your Hub's settings page by entering 192.168.0.1 into the address bar of your Internet browser
  4. Enter your Hub 3.0 settings password. The default password is printed on the bottom of the Hub 3.0. If you have changed the default password, enter that password instead
  5. Once you've logged in, click Modem Mode on the left
  6. Click the option next to Enable Modem Mode and then click Apply changes

Note: Once in Modem Mode, the IP address you use to access your Super Hub changes from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.100.1 and it is only accessible with an ethernet connection.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.

Thanks 

I did do that but as soon as I change to modem mode I loose all internet on the lan ports on the HUB3

With the hub in router mode connect a S4 to the hub have nothing else connected to the hub connect by wire to the S4 and you should have internet. Go to 192.168.100.1 and change to modem mode unplug your PC from the S4 wait 2mins then power off the hub for 2mins and on again wait 5mins before connecting a PC to the S4.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Again 

So as I have understood this I need to ....

Unplug all wires from the HUB 3 except 1 one that connects to the TP Link S4

Go to the HUB 3 192.168.0.1 change to Modem mode and once red light comes on re-start the HUB and the S4

Now connect the Laptop to the S4 with a Wire and go to the address 192.168.100.1

Are the Above steps correct or am I missing something 

When the hub is in modem mode, only one LAN port is active.  If more than one ethernet cable is connected the Hub takes a guess at which to make active. 

If you need devices connected by ethernet cable as well as the mesh system, then you either need to run the hub in router mode but with its wireless signals turned off, and then set the Deco up in "access point" mode, which is easy enough.  Or you can connect the Deco, but on the primary mesh unit connect a ten-fiteen quid "ethernet switch", which is basically an automatic ethernet port replicator.  I'd recommend using the switch myself, because the router of the Hub is a bargain basement affair.

Thank you very much for the information 

I have placed the order should should be with me tonight

So i am going to take 1 wire from the HUB in to the TP Link S4

Then From the S4 in to the Ethernet switch HUB to plug the rest of the wires in - Hope fully this should work 

Another question I have is - Is there a way of replicating the IP address of the HUB 3 i.e 192.168.0.1 to the S4 / Ethernet Extender as I have a System that works on IP addresses and is currently set up to use the HUB 3's IP address 

Thanks 

Your external IP address changes when you switch to modem mode, your hub's local IP address also changes as @MikeRobbo said earlier, but that's only relevant from the point of view of connecting to the hub for status checking or configuration changes.  Once your mesh is running, the  devices only see the mesh router's IP address. On my Deco M4, the LAN IP is 192.168.68.1 with dynamic IP enabled, and there's a good chance that other Deco mesh systems will be similar.  You can manually set IPs via the Deco app if that's appropriate.  

Andrew,

Thank you so much for this insight. Removing all other Ethernet cables has resolved my issue perfectly!

I’ve ordered the Ethernet switch but I wanted to clarify how to connect this?

Is it:

A) connect the switch to the Hub 3.0 with the deco plugged into the switch and all other devices

or

B) connect the deco to the hub with the single Ethernet cable and then add the switch to the second Ethernet port with the other devices connected to that?

Thanks! 

The answer is 'B'

There must be one cable from the hub directly into the Deco's WAN connection. The switch, and by extension, everything else is connected to the other LAN port on the Deco.