cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TP Link Powerlines

nobley
On our wavelength

I have a M350 connection with 3 TP link 1300Mbps powerlines.

Sometimes my speed drops to 90Mbps but if I unplug the internet connection to the Hub3 or any of the power lines and reconnect it my speed goes up to 350Mbps. The speed will stay like this for a few days but then drop to 90Mbps again. I have the power saving mode on the powerlines switched off.

I know this is not a Virgin problem but any help would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sophist
Trouble shooter

the 90mb usually indicates a problem negotiating negotiating a 1gb speed between two devices (in this case, probably your tp-link power line adapter and the hub, or the tp-link adapter and hte laptop/pc). suggest you replace the cables between these devices and see how it goes.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

sophist
Trouble shooter

the 90mb usually indicates a problem negotiating negotiating a 1gb speed between two devices (in this case, probably your tp-link power line adapter and the hub, or the tp-link adapter and hte laptop/pc). suggest you replace the cables between these devices and see how it goes.

nobley
On our wavelength

Thanks for the advice Sophist. I will replace the cables one at a time and let you know.

It will be a few days before I know whether or not I have a fix.

sophist
Trouble shooter

@nobley wrote:

Thanks for the advice Sophist. I will replace the cables one at a time and let you know.

It will be a few days before I know whether or not I have a fix.

yeah - it's entirely possible that a cable will negotiate a 1gb connection at first but then fall back to 100mb over time if it can't sustain it..

to be honest, if you're getting 350mb over powerlines when it's all working that's pretty damn good - your wiring must be relatively new/in good shape..

also worth noting that any future speed tests should be done when directly connected to teh hub, see how it performs without any additional equipment in the way - whilst a lot of powerline adapers are rated as being able to pass data at several hundred mbps, real world performance is usually a *lot* less.

nobley
On our wavelength

Sophist

I live in a modern bungalow and the wiring must be good as you say. Even then some sockets are better than others.

Some like powerlines and some hate them but needs must. I have changed 1 cable but need to try it over a few days.

nobley
On our wavelength

Sophist

I replaced the cable from my PC to the powerline and it seems to have fixed the problem.

Running for a week now and no problems.

Thanks for your help