Menu
AfxTwn
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

TP Link Powerline Keeps Disconnecting

Hi, I have the TP Link WPA8630P kit powerline adapters. One is upstairs and connected to the Hub 3.0 (I have my hub upstairs as my PC has a direct connection to it) and the other is downstairs with wired connections to my Samsung Smart TV and V6 box.

I often use my iPad connected to the powerline's 5 Ghz wifi signal and any other devices (such as my smartphone) that have wireless connections only are also connected to the 5 Ghz band of the powerline adapter. Downstairs I don't connect to the Hub 3.0's wifi as the signal isn't as strong there compared with upstairs.

Anyway, when using my iPad I stream YouTube videos from the iPad to my TV over wifi and it works fine for maybe 5 minutes or so but then it always disconnects and I have to wait for the wifi to reconnect again. The network light on my V6 box comes on glowing a steady orange and after a minute or so, the connection is re-established and I can continue using the wifi but again, a few minutes later I will lose the connection.

Does anyone know why this is happening and if it's a problem with my powerline adapters or a problem with the Hub blocking them or something? None of the lights change on the powerline adapters, it just seems to lose connection.

Thanks for any help.

0 Kudos
AfxTwn
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: TP Link Powerline Keeps Disconnecting

BUMP! Just bumping this topic to see if anyone can help me as this is still happening. It seems to only be a problem when I use my iPad to stream YT to my TV via the powerline's wifi. If I use the YT app on the V6 box then it plays fine with no disconnects.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi AfxTwn,

Thanks you for your post. My apologies for the delayed response. 

Can I just check have you had chance to try this without going through the power line adopters? 

^Martin

0 Kudos
AfxTwn
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Martin, I spoke to someone at Virgin and they went through the router settings with me over the phone. They suggested disabling the automatic switching between 2.4 gHz and 5.0 gHz bands and also changing the channel to auto as there may be interference on the default channel causing the connection to drop out.

This appears to have fixed it now. I wanted to test things a little bit first before replying to you. I have been streaming videos from the YT app on my iPad to my smart TV with no problems. The connection has stayed on and stable whereas before I couldn't go a few minutes without it disconnecting.

I did try first just using the Hub 3's wi-fi only, without the powerline adapters and there was a similar issue. After I applied the fix, then just using the router's wi-fi, the connection was fine but weak. On my V6 box's network status it would should the signal as marginal and around 31%. This may have been fine but I thought it better to try the powerline adapters again as they provide a much better wi-fi signal and more importantly I can use a wired ethernet connection with them.

As I said, they now work fine so it must have just been an issue with either auto-switching of bands or a channel interference issue.

Anyway, thanks for the reply. I am considering upgrading to a whole home wi-fi solution soon as even though I can use the ethernet ports of the powerline adapters I still get nowhere near the same speed as when I connect direct to the router with my PC and the wi-fi through powerline is better than the router's, it's still not as fast.
0 Kudos