Menu
Highlighted
SinDaniels
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

TP Link PA7020P

Hi,

So I recently moved from PlusNet to Virgin and I have the TP-LINK TL-PA7020PKIT V2 kit (which should do upto 1000mbps). I was getting 70-80mbps on plusnet no problems (full speed provided), moved to Vivid 200 and now cant get more than 40mbps on the same powerlines! I have checked at source (which is exactly where plusnet router was) and full 200 is reaching powerline near router so why would it be less at my pc (which hasn't moved). I'm not expecting 200 at pc but id at least expect the same if not more than when I was with plusnet???

I've read about issues with virgin and powerlines and that only fix is to have your own router etc etc but surely that's not the fix?? If plusnet can do it, why cant virgin?

All help appreciated!

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: TP Link PA7020P

Its a good point...I can only think its to do with the rate packets are sent to the powerline interface with VM than with PlusNet that with VM the rate back to back packets are faster with PlusNet the rate is slower but the speed is better....but thats a long shot theory.....its a bit like two cups of water you drink one fast before 1 second is up with 0.5 seconds to go and the other cup you drink over the average of 1 second.

Roger_Gooner
Wise owl
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Have you measured your speed with a wired connection to the hub with speedtest.net?

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
SinDaniels
Joining in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply, if that's the case then what can be done? Has anyone else ever had this issue? 

0 Kudos
SinDaniels
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi, thanks for the reply. Yes I've measured it wired at hub and also via modem mode and full speed on wired direct to hub. I've also checked the power line socket so hub>powerline>laptop and that's full speed. My issue isn't that the speed isn't reaching the initial power line its that the speed has almost halved to my other power line upstairs since I had Plusnet but other than the provider and speed no physical changes to network layout have happened. I've read about issues with VM and powerlines but never come across a solution as yet (other than having a dedicated cable system) .

Any thoughts? 

0 Kudos
Tsar
Superfast
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

No idea if this will help but it's what I'd try assuming you still have the plusnet router. Takes 5 minutes...

Switch off DHCP in the plusnet router (and wifi). Connect Superhub to Plusnet router LAN port,  connect powerlines to plusnet router as before. See what you get.

SinDaniels
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, I'll give that a try when I'm back. I think I still have the router, if not I'll try and borrow one. Didn't think to just add it as a separate throughput. 

0 Kudos
SinDaniels
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi, So I tried this but for whatever reason I couldn't get any internet access. My pc found the plusnet hub through the powerlines but then couldn't connect to the internet, only to the hub. I disabled DHCP and the wifi and all the firewalls on the plusnet hub. Any ideas where I'm going wrong?

Thanks
0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Wise owl
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Disconnect the PlusNet and check speeds with the TP-LINK adapters in the same room as the hub.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos