Menu
NMJToolbox
Up to speed
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Synology Router Settings in Modem Mode?

Hi All,

I have a Netgear R6300 router connected to the superhub 3 in modem mode.  Everything works fine except that I can't reboot the netgear without having to manually force flash the firmware to get it to boot (it is faulty, had it a few years).

I decided a new router was the way to go and I bought the Synology RT2600ac (I have had a Synology NAS for years and love the company hardware/support).

However, I cannot for the life of me get the Synology router to get an IP/Connection from the superhub.  I have set the primary interface connection type to Auto. Set as default gateway to Enabled. Nothing, nada,  The internet page in the router simply says 'disconnected'. It is connected on the syonlogy wan-> port 4 on the SH3 (which is what I use for the Netgear). The lights are flashing on the RJ45 ports, both green.

I have rebooted, reset, tried AP mode (then basically couldn't get back into the router), reset again.

Has anyone had/got a Synology router and use it successfully with Virgin and what settings do I need to select to get it to see a connection? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

S60 Area 14
Utilisation Fault: F006248376
Fix: 01/06/2018 - missed
Fix: 27/06/2018 - Fixed 9/6/18
0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Community elder
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Synology Router Settings in Modem Mode?

Log into the Synology and factory reset it. Check that its DHCP server is enabled. Power it off.

Log into your hub and put it into modem mode. Reboot it and after a few minutes its base LED should turn magenta. With the Synology's blue WAN port connected to any of the hub's LAN ports with a suitable Ethernet cable (cat 5e or better such as cat 6), power on the Synology. You should now have internet access.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
NMJToolbox
Up to speed
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Sorry, already done that, it does not work.  The synology does not get any IP from the hub.  The hub is and always has been in modem mode (as I previously stated, I use it no problem with my Netgear R6300 router).

S60 Area 14
0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Did you try it the other way round? My experience is:

1. Hub 3 powered off; router powered off. Hub & router connected by Ethernet.
2. Router powered on and allowed to settle.
3. Hub 3 powered on and it should find the router, bind with it and supply the WAN IP to the router.

The Hub 3 acts as a DHCP server to the router via its 192.168.100.x subnet.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

To allow a MAC change when in modem mode you need to power off the hub for upto 2mins.

0 Kudos
Tudor
Hero
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I switched from an AirPort Extreme Router to a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter some time ago, but you must ensure the correct power off/on sequenced is followed. Had no problems at all. 

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Community elder
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I've been connecting routers to Telewest and Virgin Media modems for over 15 years and have always powered on the modem before the router without a problem. Once the modem is initialised, the router can get its WAN IP address which is stored by the modem. Doing it this way also avoids a problem which is sometimes reported of a router which makes an attempt to get the IP address and, if it fails, makes no further attempt. Power cycling this way is also recommended by Netgear.

I don't want to be too prescriptive on how to do power cycling as it's not as if I do it several times each day, but I know what works for me.

--
0 Kudos
NMJToolbox
Up to speed
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

The Netgear didn't care if the Hub3 was powered on before or after but it seems the Synology does.

Successfully connected up and working now.  For anyone else with this router (Synology RT2600AC) this is the way to get it working:

1. Connect up to the router via ethernet and follow the guide to set admin login & password.

2. Select Router mode.

3. Let the router FULLY boot up (power, 2g, 5g and any connected ethernet lights on/flashing.

4. Turn off the hub3 (if not off already).

5. Plug the router WAN port to ethernet port 4 of the Superhub3 (the yellow one nearest the power cable/on off switch).

6. Power up the superhub.  When it is fully booted the Synology should receive the WAN IP in a few seconds.

After this I set all of my devices with fixed IPs and split the wifi into 2 channels rather than the auto combine.  Working like a charm and better wifi range than my netgear.  Happy chappie.

Thanks all for your suggestions & help.

S60 Area 14
Tudor
Hero
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Note @Roger-Gooner, the hub when in modem mode does not store the WAN IP address, it is obtained by the users router issuing a DHCP request to the VM “router” at the VM headend.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Community elder
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

My understanding is that during the initialisation sequence the modem sends a DHCP request to the CMTS and receives an IP address. When the modem binds to the router, the IP address can be passed to the router.

Incidentally, the CMTS is not located at the headend.

--
0 Kudos