Menu
stevgil
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Switching to Modem Mode on Hub 3 Router

I'm receiving high EMF readings from my router even though I've turned wifi off in the router. As I'm not bothered about using wi-fi, will switching to modem mode help reduce this? 

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Switching to Modem Mode on Hub 3 Router

It likely the Docsis modem that causing this.

0 Kudos
Tudor
Community elder
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If you are using your own router and are worried about the EMF the only answer is to put the VM hub in an earthed steel box. Might get a bit hot thought. 

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal
0 Kudos
stevgil
Joining in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@legacy1 wrote:
It likely the Docsis modem that causing this.

Thanks for that @legacy1. Yes, I'd guess that it must be related to Docsis so I'm not sure how to proceed. Perhaps I'll need to go back to a lower bandwidth solution through the telephone, though I'd rather stick with cable if possible. I'm going to try shielding the router with some appropriate material. I know most people want blazing speeds so I must be in the minority to want to cool it down. I came across a JRS Eco Wifi router but perhaps in my current setup that wouldn't be an option. Again, thanks for pointing to Docsis as I really hadn't heard about it.
0 Kudos
stevgil
Joining in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@Tudor wrote:

If you are using your own router and are worried about the EMF the only answer is to put the VM hub in an earthed steel box. Might get a bit hot thought. 

Thanks @Tudor as I'm going to try this. There are either material or metal options available so I might try the material one first.

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Give your hub a nice tinfoil hat for Christmas complete with body warmerSmiley Tongue

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Like this one Smiley Wink

tin-baseball

0 Kudos
DreamOfCheese
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Is it really worth the effort of going out of your way to block EM emissions from the Hub when chances are your neighbours also have wireless networks, and even if they don't there are a plethora of signals transmitted on various bands, AM/FM radio, GPS, 2G/3G/4G networks, etc.

The non-ionizing radiation at regulated power levels isn't going to do any harm to any organism, unless that's not your concern and it's actually to do with interference with other appliances.
0 Kudos
stevgil
Joining in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for replying. I've put my router in a Shredded Wheat box and covered it with aluminium foil which has reduced the RF a couple of notches on my EMF meter. I'm feeling better already! I know what you mean about neighbours' networks etc., but I only wanted to reduce the overall 'radiation' which is well-known to harm organisms long-term from what I've discovered - it's just that those who really know this aren't telling us about it!
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

i recommend to turn off everythong you own and leave it off.

0 Kudos