cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switched from Tivo to Virgin360 but not told about 360 ethernet connection to Hub

BredaC
Tuning in

Hello all

Just switched over from our old Tivo box to Virgin360 this evening - but only realised when we opened the box that VM advise ethernet connection between 360 and Hub.

Problem is we had our router/Hub cabling installed by VM years ago into a downstairs room for our home PC, with a separate cable to TV room upstairs.  We've got 360 working via Wifi for now but given regular problems with Wifi dropping, we're not confident this is a longterm solution.

Given the retention team who persuaded me to stay with VM didn't explain that 360 (unlike Tivo) needs a coax cable + separate internet feed, should I be able to get a free engineer visit from VM to resolve e.g. by running an ethernet cable from the downstairs Hub up through the ceiling to the 360 box upstairs? 

I'm still within 14 day cooling off period but could do without the hassle of cancelling everything and starting over with another provider....

Any and all advice appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @BredaC 

I have a 360 box connected wirelessly and there are no problems. 

Have a look in the 360 settings to check what the connection is like Home > Settings > Network > Diagnostics

You can also use voice control to go there by saying, 'Settings  Network  Diagnostics'

The top half of the screen shows the signal quality, and if you scroll down to the bottom it shows the conenction speed (Low, High etc) and below there by a series of ticks  whether it's good for Live HD TV, Watching all HD content, and Watching all UHD content.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

jem101
Superstar

@BredaC wrote:

Hello all

Just switched over from our old Tivo box to Virgin360 this evening - but only realised when we opened the box that VM advise ethernet connection between 360 and Hub.

Problem is we had our router/Hub cabling installed by VM years ago into a downstairs room for our home PC, with a separate cable to TV room upstairs.  We've got 360 working via Wifi for now but given regular problems with Wifi dropping, we're not confident this is a longterm solution.

Given the retention team who persuaded me to stay with VM didn't explain that 360 (unlike Tivo) needs a coax cable + separate internet feed, should I be able to get a free engineer visit from VM to resolve e.g. by running an ethernet cable from the downstairs Hub up through the ceiling to the 360 box upstairs? 

I'm still within 14 day cooling off period but could do without the hassle of cancelling everything and starting over with another provider....

Any and all advice appreciated!

OK well first things first, VM absolutely WILL NOT arrange an ethernet connection, not even if you offered to pay for it - they simply don't do that. If you want that done then it is up to you to organise and arrange yourself, any competent electrician should be able to do it.

But the 360 is no different from the V6, it should work OK over wifi, if you are having general issues with WiFi then that is an entirely different matter.

Thanks for fast response & confirmation @jem101 - saves me trying to find out via a call to VM customer service!
We're going to try moving the Hub closer to the downstairs ceiling to minimise the distance to the 360 box upstairs - at least wifi only has to get through plaster and bare floorboards. Fingers crossed....

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @BredaC 

I have a 360 box connected wirelessly and there are no problems. 

Have a look in the 360 settings to check what the connection is like Home > Settings > Network > Diagnostics

You can also use voice control to go there by saying, 'Settings  Network  Diagnostics'

The top half of the screen shows the signal quality, and if you scroll down to the bottom it shows the conenction speed (Low, High etc) and below there by a series of ticks  whether it's good for Live HD TV, Watching all HD content, and Watching all UHD content.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Great to hear & thanks for that advice Dave - much appreciated!