Menu
AD_1
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Superhub3 devices switching to nearest hotspot

Hi, I'm having issues with my superhub3 and my devices connected to it. My devices are  continuing connecting to I assume  the nearest hotspot to my home. They connect to a wifi network called Virgin Media then back to my home WiFi network. It keeps going back and forth, it's doing it on all my devices, pads and phones which are all android. My signal is excellent in the home, but this rouge network has a very week signal,  I think I have tracked it down, since I install the virgin connect app. I have now uninstalled it on 2 of my devices and they now work fine. Is there a setting i need to change, or just ditch the app, reading up on it do I need it to connect to hotspots, if it does not work I will switch off the hotspot on my hub.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Superhub3 devices switching to nearest hotspot

If you haven't done this already - try it first - it helps sort quite a few Hub3 wifi issues.   Go into the Hub3 settings... (type in  http://192.168.0.1  or  http://192.168.100.1 into your web browser’s url box) and in "smart wifi" (if you have it)  disable "channel optimisation".  Then, in advanced>wireless>security, rename the 2.4 & 5 GHz network ssid's.  Just change 'em to whatever you like and something that will differentiate them (e.g - xxxxx2 & xxxxx5) -- use the same password  if you like,  Then, save settings and restart the Hub.  Your 2 wifi networks will now be clearly separated - and you can then see and select the network you want to connect to individually from the "available networks" list on each device.  5 GHz is usually better and subject to less interference than the 2.4 one - although this one has the better "range" and some older/cheaper devices can only use this one.  See if that helps. 

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
AD_1
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the info will give it a try this evening. 

0 Kudos
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

First of all, which network a wireless a client connects to has nothing to do with the Hub, it is purely a client decision. 

I would check that all your devices have been updated, especially with the recent Krack vilnerability which Android devices were susceptible to.

I would look at the driver settings in your devices and look if there is a setting called roaming aggressiveness, and set this to low.

You can forget the Virgin Media network on your devices, so they will not connect to the Hotspot. If you want you can connect manually to a Hotspot later, but check the connection is not set to connect automatically. Personally, I would forget all stored networks on your devices and re-enter the settings, starting with the Network you want to connect to and set them to connect automatically.

It is unusual for a device to latch on to a weak network, so look for a setting like preferred networks or anything that priorities network connections. Sorry I cannot be more specific but I am not au fait with Android. It is possible that the devices are getting confused with the Hub's 2.4GHz and 5Ghz networks being presented and failing to connect in the first instance and roams to another network, so worth following the advice above

AD_1
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Just changed the settings will see how it goes. Many thanks for your help .

0 Kudos
teabag
Superstar
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Think you'll find its all down to a problem with the Connect App, the same has plagued me with my phone connecting to my neighbors Virgin hotspot :-(

Send details to ConnectApp@virginmedia.co.uk they are looking into it for me, and others by the reviews on the Play store, the more who report it - the better :-)

The way the Connect App works, it constantly scans for Hotspots - it does not save a WiFi profile, so you can not just delete that.

Try force stopping the App from running when you do not need it, just click on the App to start it again when needed.

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only. Customer since 1993.
AD_1
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi teabag, thanks for the info. I did wonder if it was the connect app. I did uninstall it and my device stayed connected on my WiFi. I've also changed the settings as suggested and things are running alot smoother.

0 Kudos