Menu
prm13
Tuning in
Message 1 of 66
Flag for a moderator

Superhub spontaneously resets to default settings INCLUDING DEFAULT PASSWORD

Hello Community,

I am troubled by my Superhub spontaneously resetting to factory defaults.  This happens every few months and happened most recently a few days ago.  Strangely it happened just after I had received advice from Virgin to apply a strong password to the Superhub - I already had - and of course the reset returned the password to Changeme !

The resets are a particular problem for me as I don't use the default 192.168.0. sub domain and I have quite a few reserved IP addresses for printers, NAS, my attic access point etc.  You can imaging how tedious it is when the reserved IP list is wiped.  But at least because of this I know the resets happen.

MOST IMPORTANTLY,  if I had been using an entirely standard, out of the box, Superhub configuration, I would NOT know that the Superhub had been reset.   This means that the problem could be affecting every Superhub user yet going unrecognised.  It could be that users' strong passwords are being reset without their knowledge.  That is really alarming.

I have read suggestions that the reset is due to Virgin updating firmware, but on every other piece of equipment I have - things like my NAS box and the wireless access point in my attic -  I can update firmware without losing settings.  I also find it incredible that Virgin would perform routine updates which wipe the strong passwords people have been advised to set.

Please could Virgin and other users help resolve this once and for all by providing the following information?

a) Exactly why does the Superhub reset to factory defaults? Is it indeed due to updates by Virgin - is there any evidence to support this - or is the Superhub faulty?

b) Do those who have been given replacement Superhubs find that it has fixed their problems?

c) Have any users of standard Superhub configurations found their passwords reset?

d) Is it possible to attach a third party router directly to the coax cable and so eliminate the Superhub from the system?  (I appreciate that one could use the Superhub in modem mode but that is not a really solution as a factory default reset would still remove the strong password and would presumably put the Superhub back into standard wireless access point mode.)

Please, let's see if we can work together to get to the bottom of this problem once and for all, if only for the sake of password security.

Thank you, everyone.

Peter

jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 66
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Superhub spontaneously resets to default settings INCLUDING DEFAULT PASSWORD

It's a known glitch with the really old Super hub that not many people still use. It's not worth virgin perusing as they are being phased out
0 Kudos
prm13
Tuning in
Message 3 of 66
Flag for a moderator

Re: Superhub spontaneously resets to default settings INCLUDING DEFAULT PASSWORD

That is helpful information.  Thank you for being up front about this tiresome problem.

My Superhub is VMDG480 S/N 2HA533UR0DEF9

Please can you:

1. confirm that this is from the faulty batch.

2. arrange for it to be replaced.

3. confirm that I will be able to configure the replacement by uploading the settings file saved from the current one.

Thank you,

Peter

0 Kudos
Tudor
Hero
Message 4 of 66
Flag for a moderator

I believe if you get a new Hub3 and do not use your own router the LAN address is restricted to 192.168.0.x

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
av-115
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 66
Flag for a moderator

1. All SH1s were affected

2. The forum team will get to this post in a few days and can have a replacement sent out. Alternatively ring 150 / 0345 454 1111, use the broadband faults option and they will send a replacement

3. I doubt this will work since the replacement will be a completely different model. SH1s & SH2s are no longer supplied, you'll get the Hub 3.

You can't use your own modem on Virgin's network, has to be a Superhub in modem mode to use a third party router.

--------------------------
TV: XL TV (V6 & V+ HD)
Broadband: VIVID 200
Phone: Talk Unlimited
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Heather_J
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 66
Flag for a moderator

Hello prm13, 

Welcome to the Community 😄

Apologies for the problems with your Hub. If you drop me a PM confirming your name and address, I can send you a replacement. 

Catch you soon, 

Take care. 

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
RUT
Joining in
Message 7 of 66
Flag for a moderator

Hello Heather, I have the same problem with my hub resetting to defaults. Can you arrange for me to receive a replacement box if this is a known fault

0 Kudos
RUT
Joining in
Message 8 of 66
Flag for a moderator

Hi Heather, I have sent you a PM now and still not had any contact. Are you able to pick this up please. I cannot seem to get anyone on chat or on the phone so this seems to be my only method of contact

0 Kudos
RUT
Joining in
Message 9 of 66
Flag for a moderator

Heather I have just spoken to technical support who say they can see nothing wrong with my hub and want to charge me for a replacement. That is not the same response that has been given on this forum. Why is it so hard to believe an inconvenienced customer. All my wifi attached devices and their MAC addresses all go every time my hub is reset and this is happening every couple of months making my strong password reset to default hackable easy one. Can you please help sort this out - I have just talked to 3 people who have checked my line is OK and they can see the router - that bit is not the problem. Its the constant resetting that is being done, probably by faulty firmware. I don't expect to pay £20 to fix this router.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Heather_J
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 10 of 66
Flag for a moderator

Hello RUT, 

Thanks for posting and a warm welcome to the Community 😄

Sorry to hear that you've not had support with this issue. I've received your PM, but I need to confirm your address. Please reply back via PM confirming your name and address and I'll send you a replacement. 

Take care. 

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos