Menu
oflix
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Superhub replacement

I'm using a Superhub 2 (I think) which is getting worse for wear. It regularly needs a reboot when all my wireless devices simply lose connection and it seems generally slow. I've just bought a new tablet, installed the connect app but can't even use this.

I've tried the upgrade link someone else suggested but that tells me to ring customer services after teasing me with a button to get the upgrade.

Ringing the number provided got me nowhere with the representative knowing nothing about the upgrade offer.

I'm already a bit miffed as just spotted I've been put on a new contract when my faulty TiVo was replaced a few months ago (I didn't change any services, just had a faulty box replaced) so any help appreciated.

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re: Superhub replacement

You might not get it free if you ring customer services but if you want better wireless get your own router with 1Gb ports and use the hub in modem mode.

0 Kudos
Ptolemaeus
Tuning in
Message 3 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hello, have you tried troubleshooting your Suberhub 2 issue in the past?

I would warn you against getting the Hub 3, as I've heard a lot of complaints stating that the range of its wifi signal was much shorter than the Superhub 2. Otherwise, getting a 3rd party router could also be a valid option since you'd have a much better NAT and wifi signal.

0 Kudos
MadMonk
Tuning in
Message 4 of 21
Flag for a moderator

I have issues with the "Superhub" 3 also; never a problem for years with Hub 2....seriously disgusted with the support as well and seriously thinking of leaving as a result.

Until recently, I was on Hub2 in Modem mode with a home plug powerline wifi extender in a convenient central location and very good it was. Easy and quick to boot up when needed for the phones, PCs on the ethernet powerline.  No problem.

When I foolishly opted for a Hub 3  the set-up refused to work in Modem mode, but worked fine with the Hub3 in WiFi mode. 

For a while....

Funnily enough after pestering the remote call centre for a solution several times NOW the powerline wifi doesn't work at all.

I do NOT care for the Hub3 wifi sitting one meter from my head...and the signal is very poor in the next room.

I do NOT want or need a virgin wifi booster or any other stupid suggestion they tried to fob me off with; not only the script readers, but two supervisors who I eventually got to talk to.

What I want is Virgin to honour its sales talk and let me have the wow! fantastic! new! improved! Hub 3 in Modem mode and add my own router which worked perfectly with Hub 2.

For years, that is.

I've been with Virgin since before it was Virgin, i.e. Telewest Broadband/BlueYonder before even the time of the NTL merger, almost prehistoric.

Now I believe they are in breach of contract and failing to provide the service promised or implied...I'm getting ready to pack my bags and it feels like leaving home.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Using the Hub3 in modem mode with a 3d party wifi router is standard practice with many 1000's of customers using that set up.
So what router do you have that works on an SH2 but not a Hub3 ?

Why not leave it router mode then just turn off the Hub3's  wifi in settings,  and connect your wifi equipment as before?

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
MadMonk
Tuning in
Message 6 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Why not leave it router mode then just turn off the Hub3's wifi in settings, and connect your wifi equipment as before????
That means "Modem Mode" doesn't it?
If not, I don't understand you.
Because the Hub 3 will not respond to the router. The router is working and putting out a signal but the HUB 3 will not talk to it.
The router is a Solwise 500 home plug wifi extender, its actually a router.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 21
Flag for a moderator

@MadMonk wrote:
Why not leave it router mode then just turn off the Hub3's wifi in settings, and connect your wifi equipment as before????
If not, I don't understand you.
Because the Hub 3 will not respond to the router. The router is working and putting out a signal but the HUB 3 will not talk to it.
The router is a Solwise 500 home plug wifi extender, its actually a router.

No, just turning off the wifi is not the same as running the Hub in modem mode and if your Solwise device is this

https://www.solwise.co.uk/net-powerline-plv-500av-pewn.html

then I'm afraid that's not a router at all but a wireless access extender or bridge. So if you have put the Hub 3 in 'proper' modem mode and just attached this Solwise to it then that definitely won't work.

0 Kudos
MadMonk
Tuning in
Message 8 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Explain please.

How come it worked perfectly with Hub2 for 5 years?

How come it worked for a short time with Hub3 but only with WiFi on.

Phone showing two seperate signals, one from Hub3 and one from Solwise.

🥺 I'll try what you said.  🤔

How come it doesn't work in any way now, suddenly?

0 Kudos
MadMonk
Tuning in
Message 9 of 21
Flag for a moderator

🤔

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 21
Flag for a moderator

@MadMonk wrote:

No - turning of its wifi in router mode - just essentialy leaves the Hub3 as a modem + a router with no wifi networks being broadcast.  All 4 ports on the Hub can then be used to connect devices - e.g., computers, laptops, consoles etc - directly to the internet via ethernet cables.  If you then want a wireless network you need to attach a wireless router or wireless access point to the Hub by ethernet cable.  If the solwise is indeed an "extender" it cannot work as it has nothing to extend!

Why things worked previously - who knows - magic pixies perhaps 😀  If not then the SH3 &/ Hub3 must have been broadcasting a wifi signal for it to extend.  Or if it is a bona fide "router" or "access point" (and we dont know) then perhaps it has just broken or failed?

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos