Menu
Damianp
On our wavelength
Message 61 of 74
Flag for a moderator

Re: Superhub keeps resetting itself

The engineer came out this morning and found that the cable that currently goes over the top of my house is most likely damaged. He's booked the cable team to come out next week to replace it. He also replaced my passive splitter with a powered version and also updated my V1 Superhub to V3. My download speed has increased significantly already to 100Mb/s. I can't remember when it's been that fast before.

I'll post again next week once the cable has been replaced but I am really pleased so far.

Thanks,

Damian

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 62 of 74
Flag for a moderator

That's really good news Damian. The engineer seems to have been very thorough and I'm pleased you've already seen positive results. Don't forget that for speeds in excess of 100mb your pc's/laptops should have a gigabit network card and be connected via Cat 6 or Cat 7 Ethernet.

Thanks for the update and let us know if you need any further support Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Josh_RW
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 63 of 74
Flag for a moderator

Hi ek5932,

Welcome to the Community!

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with your connection.

I've located your account and I can see an issue with the network in your area currently affecting your services - F006309971. Our technicians are working to get this resolved as soon as possible and have set a review date of 3rd July. 

If you're still having trouble past the review date let us know and we'll check it out for you.

All the best

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Damianp
On our wavelength
Message 64 of 74
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

I said I'd post back once the 2nd engineer came out. Unfortunately, I can't say that I am happy.

Firstly I waited until 4.15 for the engineer to turn up for what was meant to be a 8am-1pm slot. It annoys me that VM make absolutely sure that you are going to be there for the appointment with their 2-3 text messages beforehand so that you don't waste their time, but don't contact you to let you know that they are running very late to avoid wasting my time.

When the engineer turned up and I told him what the problem was, he was immediately annoyed with the previous engineer for not replacing the cable himself. He said that the first engineer had basically passed the buck onto someone else.

He then said that he doubted that the cable was damaged anyway and poo pooed what the first engineer had said - before he'd even checked the signal strength. He then checked the signal strength at the back of the house and said it was fine. I started to question him about why what he was saying was completely at odds with what the first engineer had said even though what the first engineer (who did actually test everything before forming any  conclusions) had said made perfect sense to me. He then checked the strength again and admitted that the signal was lower than it should be at the back of the house.

He then checked the signal at the front of the house and saw that there is a passive splitter there which feeds the V box in my front room.  He said that he could sort out the problem by putting a powered splitter here by drilling through the wall. He also said that the signal coming from the cabinet was lower than it should be and that this external cable might be damaged.

By this point I had lost all confidence as what he was saying was completely contradictory to the first engineer. I told him that I did not want him drilling another hole in the house when there was a possibility that the cable over the house was damaged and that this was basically kicking the can down the road. By this point I just wanted him to go and try again with someone else as I felt I was being fobbed off. I told him I wanted to leave it for another day and he then said he'd go and check what was going on at the cabinet. He came back and said that he'd moved me to the top strength in the cabinet and then checked my signal strength again which he said was now ok but that there was a big range in power levels across the channels. He said he'd put in an equaliser - I'm not actually sure if he did or not. I felt it was pointless continuing with this chap and so pretended that I was happy and he left.

So now I feel like I'm back to square one after wasting a whole day. My download speed is down to 17 Mbps btw.

Can someone have another look at my power levels again and tell me what they think please?downstream.pngDownstreamupstream.pngUpstream

[MOD EDIT: Image removed as contains MAC address]

Many thanks, Damian

0 Kudos
Damianp
On our wavelength
Message 65 of 74
Flag for a moderator

Network log (with MAC address removed)...

nework log.pngNetwork Log

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 66 of 74
Flag for a moderator

Upstream is fine. Downstream is actually OK but the "slope" (you can google that) is rather steep. The higher frequencies lose power quicker over distance than the lower frequencies. The amplifier output in the street cabinet is "sloped" so that over the c. 220m maximum for coax to which VM work, the power for the higher frequencies is in acceptable range.

Your Downstream frequency range is 139 MHz to 299 MHz and the "slope" difference is 7.7 dB.

My Downstream frequency range is 411 MHz to 595 MHz and the "slope" difference is 1.8 dB.

You can read more about this at https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/POWER-LEVELS-amp-SNR-A-TECHNICAL-PRIMER-updated-October-2...

If you are reasonably technically aware, then the tables/graph at the link below will illustrate what's happening.
http://qrznow.com/coax-cable-loss/

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

Damianp
On our wavelength
Message 67 of 74
Flag for a moderator

Hi Seph,

Thank you very much for your help on this again.

I've looked at the links that you posted and am not sure I understand enough about it to glean much from them. The first link you give seems to say that the quality of the cable makes a big difference to the amount of attenuation along the length of the cable. I'm not sure if VM use different standards of cable depending on the distance the customer is from the cabinet (I'm quite far away), or if the power loss at higher frequencies could be caused by a damaged cable.

I tried moving my router to the connection point in the front room which bypasses the cable that goes over the top of the house (the cable that the first engineer said was damaged and needed replacing and the second engineer said it didn't). I've attached the download report for this which to me looks very similar to when the router is connected to the "damaged" cable (perhaps you can see a difference which I cannot?). Also I did a speedtest at both points 10 minutes apart - I'm getting 102 Mbps in the front room and only 26 Mbps in the back room.

Could the slope in power levels cause any problems? Would either of the second engineers proposed solutions (putting a powered splitter in the front room to replace the passive one - which I wasn't happy with, or putting an equaliser on the cable - which he said he was going to do and then didn't), have improved matters?

I'm getting a bit fed up with this now, I feel that at least one of the engineers that came out has either fobbed me off or was incompetent and I do not know enough about it to know which and which!

Many thanks,

Damian

downstream front room.png

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 68 of 74
Flag for a moderator

@Damianp wrote:

Hi Seph,

Thank you very much for your help on this again.

I've looked at the links that you posted and am not sure I understand enough about it to glean much from them. The first link you give seems to say that the quality of the cable makes a big difference to the amount of attenuation along the length of the cable. I'm not sure if VM use different standards of cable depending on the distance the customer is from the cabinet (I'm quite far away), or if the power loss at higher frequencies could be caused by a damaged cable. [SEPH]: The second link shows how power degrades with distance according to signal frequency.  VM use the highest quality (single standard) cable except where an install technician might have spliced into previous Sky satellite cable, which is bad practice and will cause across the board signal degradation.  The maximum distance from the cabinet is c. 220m.  

I tried moving my router to the connection point in the front room which bypasses the cable that goes over the top of the house (the cable that the first engineer said was damaged and needed replacing and the second engineer said it didn't). I've attached the download report for this which to me looks very similar to when the router is connected to the "damaged" cable (perhaps you can see a difference which I cannot?). Also I did a speedtest at both points 10 minutes apart - I'm getting 102 Mbps in the front room and only 26 Mbps in the back room.  [SEPH]: I did spot a difference.  Your lowest downstream channel ID number, 1, is now at the bottom of the channel list.  Whereas previously Channel ID 1 was the prime downstream channel (that conducts initialisation traffic), the prime downstream channel is now Channel ID 2.  I can see why that is - the SNR on Channel ID 1 at 35.7 isn't brilliant and the system needs low noise for its initialisation.  You could paste the second page of downstream so we can see the post-RS errors.  If anything, the "damaged" cable is likely to be the one going to the front room!

Could the slope in power levels cause any problems? Would either of the second engineers proposed solutions (putting a powered splitter in the front room to replace the passive one - which I wasn't happy with, or putting an equaliser on the cable - which he said he was going to do and then didn't), have improved matters? [SEPH]: A passive splitter halves signal strength.  A powered splitter amplifies noise (which you have on the lower frequency channels).  An equaliser would not have improved matters, your problem now is likely to be noise.

I'm getting a bit fed up with this now, I feel that at least one of the engineers that came out has either fobbed me off or was incompetent and I do not know enough about it to know which and which! [SEPH]: The VM bods won't get to your post much before Tuesday/Wednesday next.  They'll take a responsible view of your situation but are most likely to arrange another technician visit. Imo, that should be a more senior technician.

Many thanks,

Damian

downstream front room.png

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

ToffeeSurprise
Up to speed
Message 69 of 74
Flag for a moderator

I had this repeatedly happen around 12-13 days ago, going from rebooting once/twice a day to at one point entering a constant reboot cycle and would have a connection for about a minute. I'm guessing VM were working on the network when this went crazy because at around 3AM-4AMish this stopped and has been fine ever since.

Out of curiosity, could one of the team advise if there was an area fault (prob SNR or failed card) around that time? Cheers.

0 Kudos
Damianp
On our wavelength
Message 70 of 74
Flag for a moderator

Hi Seph,

Thanks again for your help. I'm not sure how I'd be getting any further along with this without your information.

Is this my Post RS error log? (I found this from the link in the article that you posted)

{ "1.3.6.1.2.1.10.127.1.1.4.1.4.3":"0", "1.3.6.1.2.1.10.127.1.1.4.1.4.48":"0", "1.3.6.1.2.1.10.127.1.1.4.1.4.49":"15", "1.3.6.1.2.1.10.127.1.1.4.1.4.50":"0", "1.3.6.1.2.1.10.127.1.1.4.1.4.51":"10", "1.3.6.1.2.1.10.127.1.1.4.1.4.52":"20", "1.3.6.1.2.1.10.127.1.1.4.1.4.53":"0", "1.3.6.1.2.1.10.127.1.1.4.1.4.54":"0", "1.3.6.1.2.1.10.127.1.1.4.1.4.55":"9", "1.3.6.1.2.1.10.127.1.1.4.1.4.56":"0", "1.3.6.1.2.1.10.127.1.1.4.1.4.57":"0", "1.3.6.1.2.1.10.127.1.1.4.1.4.58":"0", "1.3.6.1.2.1.10.127.1.1.4.1.4.59":"0", "1.3.6.1.2.1.10.127.1.1.4.1.4.60":"0", "1.3.6.1.2.1.10.127.1.1.4.1.4.61":"0", "1.3.6.1.2.1.10.127.1.1.4.1.4.62":"0", "1.3.6.1.2.1.10.127.1.1.4.1.4.63":"0", "1.3.6.1.2.1.10.127.1.1.4.1.4.64":"0", "1.3.6.1.2.1.10.127.1.1.4.1.4.65":"0", "1.3.6.1.2.1.10.127.1.1.4.1.4.66":"0", "1.3.6.1.2.1.10.127.1.1.4.1.4.67":"14", "1.3.6.1.2.1.10.127.1.1.4.1.4.68":"0", "1.3.6.1.2.1.10.127.1.1.4.1.4.69":"0", "1.3.6.1.2.1.10.127.1.1.4.1.4.70":"0", "1":"Finish" }

This is from when the router is plugged into the back room via the cable that goes over the house.

If this is the correct log, and if it would help, I'll do this again with the router plugged into the front room connection.

Many thanks,

Damian

0 Kudos