cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Superhub 5 is not fit for purpose

DJSubterrain
On our wavelength

Since I've installed this router, it's had problems with the Wi-Fi, even though the promotional blurb says it has the majestic Wi-Fi 6. That's no use if it doesn't actually work.

Every wireless device in the house drops it's connection at random with some unable to re-connect (even after forgetting and reconnecting) until the router is restarted. The random dropouts will happen again.

Why are you pushing a product on people which you know does not work correctly? You do realise a lot of people are still working from home?

Even if you want to try configuring the router, good luck, you'll probably get this on the page:

DJSubterrain_0-1640707712161.png

17 REPLIES 17

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
If you still have the old Hub call in and get them to reactivate it on your account and send the Hub5 back.

Even if you dont - ask them to send you a Hub3/4 - as the hub5 is not fit for your purposes

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Virgin Media have made a serious mistake in sending out this unproven equipment to unsuspecting users who did not know they would be acting as beta testers. 

Previous new Hubs were released first to a closed group of users who reported on bugs that were found so that the firmware could be updated before general release.  As far as I'm aware that didn't happen with the Hub 5, since the many faults being reported now by general users could have been eliminated. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
I have said in another post that it would be interesting to see the text of the invitation email that the users were sent, to see what they did actually say about it.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Corey_C

Thanks for your post and for reaching out to the Community Forums, DJSubterrain,

Sorry to hear hear that you have been experiencing connectivity issues with the hub 5, have you tried a factory reset with the hub to resolve the error?

Cheers,

Corey C

@jbrennand here you go — copy of the email.

screencapture.jpg

Yep doesn't seem to be anything in there acknowledging that the Hub 5 is actually supplied on a limited trial basis or informing you that you would actually be a guinea pig, testing it for them!

Now this is what happens when the marketing department have the upper hand in a company and just crash on regardless! Wonder if they have ever heard of the term 'informed consent', quite important legally?

Of course you have to love the wording; '...our Hub 5 uses WiFi 6, the latest generation of WiFi technology...' - ah well; actually, no it isn't; 'deliver WiFi to where you need it'. Excellent so anyone who finds that the wifi doesn't extend to every single room in the house can make a complaint - and it will be upheld!

Quite sure that Trading Standards might want to have a word with them regarding some of these claims!

For what it is worth, personally, right now, I wouldn't touch a Hub 5 with someone else's bargepole - of course your millage may vary.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The only good thing I can see is that it’s 100% recycled plastic! I wonder how much of it is recyclable. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

@Tudor wrote:

The only good thing I can see is that it’s 100% recycled plastic!

Well, come on be fair - it can't be all bad........

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

They should recall them and recycle again.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.