cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Superhub 5 WiFi Not Connecting After Changing SSID

doublejoe7
Tuning in

Hi all,

I am having a strange issue with my new hub 5 and customer support are not very helpful so thought I would see if anyone else is having a similar issue. 

My new hub 5 arrived yesterday after complaints with my hub 4 and wanting the ability to connect my devices with Wifi6. Everything connected fine and within 10 minutes or so I was getting a wireless connection speed to my phone on Wifi6 at 600MB which was excellent and exactly what I wanted.

I then logged into my hub and changed the SSID and password to match what I had before as all my smart devices are configured to that. Once the hub rebooted I can see the SSID being broadcast but only about 30% of my devices are able to connect to this. All laptops and phones are saying either 'The Password Is Incorrect' , 'Failed To Connect' or 'Could Not Obtain IP address'

The connection details have been verified and must be correct as some devices are connecting, these appear to be older smart plugs on 2.4Ghz but there are 1 or 2 connecting on 5Ghz. I have tried changing the security protocal but this makes no difference. 

VM said yesterday to leave the equipment off for 4 hours and call back again if its still not working, but i think im just being fobbed off as there is nothing wrong with the actual Internet connection.

For now I have put this in Modem mode and reconnected my mesh to get the house back up and running. I ideally want to get rid of the mesh as there is bandwidth drop between the units as I dont have an ethernet backhaul.

Any ideas?

25 REPLIES 25

g0akc
Problem sorter

Sounds like the Hub 5 isn’t fully backwards compatible 

I believe there’s mention of this elsewhere, and a compatibility mode?  Try that?

If you put the hub 5 back to standard (factory reset or its own original SSID) and try your devices again do they connect to the new network?  Try one or two.  You might have to bite the bullet and set everything up again?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

Thanks for the reply! 

Yes if I use the original SSID that come with the router then I can connect my devices, I was hoping that I wouldnt have to reset everything as there are about 30 devices to change it on and its not something I have had to do before when upgrading the router.

I will have a look and see if I can find the compatibility mode and give it a try 🙂

@doublejoe7 wrote:

its not something I have had to do before when upgrading the router.

Was the security setting (eg WPA2) the same then?  Were you moving from AC to AX?

The alternative is likely to forget/reconnect to the network - as much if a pain as using the new SSID - or check the security settings on the new hub match that on the old one?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

I tried using the WP2, WPA3 and WPA2/WPA3 individually but they still wont connect. 

The mesh is running on AC and it was in my mind to get a AX mesh but wanted to avoid it because of not having a backhaul. The hub 5 sounded promising with the WiFi6 to just have 1 device running the network rather than 4. The other option is a AX router and run the hub in Modem mode, but all of the AX routers I have seen have huge antennas and the wife is not happy with having a 'space ship' in the living room!

I have tried forgetting the old SSID on my phone for example, but it doesnt appear to have made any difference. 

Okay - I’m very rusty on 802.11 and service sets, bss etc.  I may be talking out of my axxx but since WiFi 6 (AX) uses things like bss colour you’re basically migrating from one bss to another…..

Read up on it further.  See the wiki

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Service_set_(802.11_network)

I would however have expected forgetting/reconnecting to work - but then you’re still mixing service sets on the same network which is surely going to give trouble….   Reset all your devices at once to effectively start from scratch or just use the new SSID

Someone more up to speed may come along and put things straight.

I’ve seen a few of us have these problems ( me included ).

for me if you mess with any of the out the box configuration settings, it then refuses to issue IP addresses to devices and so they fail to properly connect.

I too had to play around for hours until I managed ( just ) to split the channels by adding a 5 on the end of the 5Ghz Wi-Fi channel, leaving all other settings how the hub wanted them, I then had to do as you expect and spent an hour or two reconnecting devices.

IF i have helped you, please give me kudos / mark me as helpful, thanks

Hi @doublejoe7 ,

Sorry to hear you're having WiFi connection issues with your devices. Can you tell us which devices struggled to connect after changing the SSID and WiFi password? I'll be able to feed this back to the Project Team.

Thanks,

Lisa

Hi Lisa,

It is a mix of all different kinds of devices from smart plugs, Ring cameras, mobile phones, laptops. It was also a mix of devices on 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz.

The actual WiFi range of the Hub 5 isnt great so I think I am going to leave it in Modem mode and install a WiFi6 G.hn mesh to maintain the speeds.

Hi,

Appreciate you may wish to leave the Hub 5 in modem mode but we'd also like to look into this as the information you provide us would greatly help us improve our product and service.  Could you specify the problem devices/models if you've a moment?  Feel free to send me a Private Message if you don't want to post in public. 

Many Thanks,

Lisa