cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Superhub 4 Modem Mode Doesn't Work

bwrlane
Tuning in

Hello,

Wonder if someone can help with a frustrating problem.  For longer than I can remember, I have been using a Superhub 2 in modem mode, together with an Asus RT-AC66U router.

The reason why I set it up this way was because I found a particular online game would frequently disconnect and give lag spikes.  I found that by putting the Superhub 2 in modem mode and using a separate router, the disconnects and lag spikes went away.  I happily used the system in this configuration for years.

I recently upgraded my package to 1 Gig and was sent a Superhub 4 router.  I was optimistic that whatever problems caused the lags and disconnects with the Superhub 2 would now have been fixed.  My optimism was misplaced.  As soon as I started using a Virgin router again, the lags and disconnects started up again!

No problem, I thought, I'll just put the Superhub 4 in modem mode, and use my own router, just as I had been doing without issue for several years.  That was the start of an almost entirely wasted day.  It seems the Superhub 4 simply does not work properly in modem-only mode.  

I get the following error message within my Asus router's configuration page.  "Unable to connect to the Internet".  Please contact your ISP to find out the root cause of the DHCP failure.

I googled and found many people seem to be having the same problem with the Superhub 4 in modem mode.  It seems some people tried various things like swapping ethernet cables, trying different ethernet ports, rebooting the Superhub, leaving it for 5 minutes, then turning on the router, leaving it for another 5 minutes.  I tried all of that, and more, for several hours.  I just get that DHCP failure error and no internet connection.

So I have reverted back to the Superhub in router mode, using the Asus device for wifi.  (I have tried two separate routers, one brand new, and get almost identical error messages: ISP DHCP failure).

This is absolutely not how I wanted my service to work.  I want my own router to do all the routing, and the Superhub 4 to be a modem and nothing more.

Any ideas?  Note that the basic trouble shooting tips like trying a new ethernet cable, trying a different ethernet socket, rebooting all devices in a different order etc etc are unlikely to work.  (Tried them all, no joy).

Many thanks in advance

54 REPLIES 54

So I would have to reset my hub so I can get WiFi then

@brads wrote:

So I would have to reset my hub so I can get WiFi then

Well no, as that's the whole reason to use the ASUS.

HUB 4 in modem mode to supply internet only, ASUS to supply wired and wireless connectivity.

When the hub is in modem mode I don't have any signal at all

@brads wrote:

When the hub is in modem mode I don't have any signal at all

The ASUS will be using a different SSID (Network name), usually on the base along with a new password.

I just get a message No Internet

@brads wrote:

I just get a message No Internet

Yes, however you can connect to 192.168.50.1 and enter the username and settings password on the base. Usually admin and admin.

On my laptop I get no internet and on my phone I don't get anything

oh for goodness sake...

with the hub in router mode connect only your ASUS router WAN port to the hub then by wireless connect too your ASUS router you should have internet if not fault with your ASUS router but if you have internet go to 192.168.100.1 this gets you to the hub then change to modem mode
---------------------------------------------------------------

@brads wrote:

On my laptop I get no internet and on my phone I don't get anything

As I already said you don't need internet to connect to 192.168.50.1. That's the actual Asus router.

As long as you are connected to the Asus on the wireless you should be able to type the above IP into a web browser and login.

I'm not connected to anything, can't connect. Thanks for helping me, it's much appreciated.