Menu
Highlighted
Dan100
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Superhub 3 won't accept wired connections, router can't reach it in modem mode

Sadly my trusty SH1 died a a couple of weeks ago after seven years of solid service. For the last few years, it's been in modem mode, connected to a Apple Airport Extreme. That worked perfectly.

The replacement Superhub 3 Virgin sent me has been working anything but perfectly. Putting it into modem mode, the Airport can't get a valid IP address from it. That's after all possible sequences of changing into modem mode, connecting cables, and powering both SH3 and Airport and off. (Yes, the magenta light is on!)

When reset and newly updated again, the SH3 also won't accept any wired Ethernet connections either. It shouldn't be this difficult! I think it's faulty, as so many SH3s seem to be. I can face calling customer support though, and having to spend hours through their simplistic scripts.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
Dan100
Tuning in
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Superhub 3 won't accept wired connections, router can't reach it in modem mode

Any thoughts? Is my only option to battle customer services for another one?

0 Kudos
Static
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Superhub 3 won't accept wired connections, router can't reach it in modem mode

I saw a thread a while back where someone had found a work around to this problem.

I think they turned both the Hub and router off. Then turned on the router, allowed it to fully boot up and then turned on the Hub and it was working as expected.
(Steps taken from Sephiroths post: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/DHCP-on-SuperHub-3-0-when-in-MODEM-mode/m-p... )
Also, be sure your Ethernet cable is plugged into port 1 on the hub 3, it’s the only active port in modem mode.

VMCopperUser
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

It sounds like the Ethernet ports are bad.

A bit odd for a new out of the box device.

So your logging in with a wired device to make all of these setting changes?... Also, Have you reset the Airport.  I would try to get it working in router mode, if no devices can connect via wired connection then you need a new unit.  You havent set DHCP Reservations on all of your existing devices have you?, Remember that they will likely need a power-down and restart to connect and get a new IP from a different router.

----
I do not work for VM, but I would. It is just a Job.

I would also make websites for them, because the job never seems to require the website to work.
0 Kudos
Dan100
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

So I tried a hard reset of the Airport. No luck.

1. With the Airport Ethernet lead unplugged from the SH3, I put the the SH3 into modem mode (a few days after last resetting it, without making any other configuration changes. I did check that it was running .608 firmware -- it was).

2. I hard-reset the Airport (which results in it making a DCHP request for a IP address).

3. Going through the setup process of the Airport, I plugged the Ethernet lead into port 1 on the SH3 when I was told to. The SH3 was showing a steady magenta light and no other lights at this time.

4. The Airport setup process reported no internet access. It asked me to power cycle the modem (the SH3), which I did -- no luck.

Using the Airport Utility app afterward, it again said the Airport could not obtain a valid IP. The port 1 light was flashing on the SH3. When I unplugged the Ethernet cable as I prepared to reset the SH3, the Airport reported that the cable was disconnected. So the port works, but the right information isn't going through it.

0 Kudos
Dan100
Tuning in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

may have solved it.

This thread mentions that the Ethernet ports on the SH3 have low electrical power. I had been using a 10m Cat5 cable, but just tried a 2m cable. Along with powering the Airport while disconnected from the SH3, powering off the SH3 once set to modem mode, connecting the two and then turning on the SH3 (with several minutes between each step), I have a working connection from the Airport to the internet through the SH3 in modem mode.

0 Kudos
Tudor
Superstar
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

From memory, the AirPort when reset gets a default address of 192.168.1.1. Try connecting direct to this address and make sure the WAN port is set up to DHCP. If you have an iPad or iPhone there is an Apple app that make setting up the AirPort fairly easy. 

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Louise_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dan100,

Thank you for taking the time to post in the community.

I'm glad to hear that one of the threads on the Forum was able to help you resolve the issues you were experiencing.

If you have any further issues you know where to find us. 
In the meantime, don't be a stranger around the Community! Feel free to browse through the Boards and jump into a thread if you have any advice or tips that may be of use to others.
Take care,
Louise

Forum Support Team

Forum Team

New around here? Find out more about the Community by checking our "Getting started guide"

0 Kudos
Dan100
Tuning in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Yes indeed a week later, all is still working correctly.

0 Kudos