Menu
srekcins
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Superhub 3 with iPhone 7 VERY slow wifi

Hi,

I've had a superhub 3 for a while now and always had a problem when connecting with an iPhone 7. All the other devices in my house connect fine (including iPads and another iPhone 6) with all devices showing their full potential speed of up to 200mbs. On the iPhone 7 I only get 0.1-1mbs, if it actually connects at all! I have followed guides online to connect my old superhub 2 to my current superhub 3, and when the same phone connects through the 5G network it gets 200mbs+ until the signal starts to drop which is why I replaced it in the first place...

Been around in circles with Apple and Virgin both blaming each other. Has anyone else experienced this?

0 Kudos
Tudor
Hero
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Superhub 3 with iPhone 7 VERY slow wifi

Best thing to try is to separate the 2.4 & 5 Ghz bands SSIDs as the Hub3 comes with them both on the same SSID. Go to the settings and change them to have one as xxx-5 and the other as xxx-2. Then try connecting your devices to the -5 SSID first. 

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal
0 Kudos
srekcins
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@Tudorwrote:

Best thing to try is to separate the 2.4 & 5 Ghz bands SSIDs as the Hub3 comes with them both on the same SSID. Go to the settings and change them to have one as xxx-5 and the other as xxx-2. Then try connecting your devices to the -5 SSID first. 

Thanks for the reply. I have just tried that but still got the same 0.68Mb down and 11Mb up.

0 Kudos
DCrossland
Tuning in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi, have you found a solution to this, I’m having a very similar problem with my iPhone? Other devices work fine but my iPhone barely has any WiFi speed at all

0 Kudos
srekcins
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

I had forgotten all about this post! The closest I have found to a “solution” is a tutorial on how to connect an old suberhub 2 to the superhub 3. I have also found I have the same problem when connecting to other superhub 3’s, and various routers when abroad.

No response from Apple or Virgin. The battery in my phone is now awful so permanent solution will be change to Android and a different ISP!

DCrossland
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

My iPhone 7 is still working as it should minus the Virgin WiFi issues. I now have three options. I can either pay £££ to get a newer model / different brand phone, wait until February next year for my contract to expire and get a unlimited internet SIM card or I change my TV, phone and broadband provider for good.

I’m actually disgusted in the lack of support and acknowledgement from VM that this is even an issue, you can clearly see it is by googling it and seeing all the hits.

maybe it’s time to get intouch with Sky

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@DCrossland wrote:

Hi, have you found a solution to this, I’m having a very similar problem with my iPhone? Other devices work fine but my iPhone barely has any WiFi speed at all

Have you checked to see whether "smart wifi" is enabled on your Hub3?  If it is, disable it!

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Potential-FIX-for-WiFi-Disconnections/td-p/...

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos