Menu
Bontboy
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Superhub 3 wifi - attached a mesh system from Tenda

Attached a Tenda Nova mesh wifi system, and improved wifi performance significantly. Have read about Superhub 3.0 in modem only mode - though not attempted it yet - would switching to modem only mode significantly improve wireless on the mesh system? Getting 40mbps on wireless on the Nova, when it was sub 13 on the Superhub 3.0. Annoyingly was getting 112 mbps on the superhub, but only in the close vicinity - step into the hall/passage and the performance dips considerably. I've read wifi range performance on the superhub is pretty poor. 

0 Kudos
wagnertoph
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Superhub 3 wifi - attached a mesh system from Tenda

If WiFi networks use the same or overlapping channels it can slow down your speeds, so switching your SuperHub to modem mode would reduce the amount of competing WiFi networks by one. It might not have a significant effect, but it certainly wouldn't do any harm. 

Best wishes,

wagnertoph

0 Kudos
Andruser
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Good call by wagnertoph!  Another thing is to make sure you're connecting to the Tenda Nova's 5 GHz band.

0 Kudos
Bontboy
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that - just one more question, would it be best to unplug the Nova from the superhub before putting it in

modem mode? I understand the active port is usually port 4, so I could plug the Nova into that prior to the change or

would that cause a conflict?

0 Kudos
Bontboy
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Yes, we are on the 5Ghz band. Thanks for the response.

0 Kudos
Andruser
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

"would it be best to unplug the Nova from the superhub before putting it in modem mode?"

I can't say what the Hub 3 makers recommend, but that's what I'd do.  Some devices cope very well with "plug & play", some don't, so best to assume the worst.  

0 Kudos
andrewkp
Dialled in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@Andruser wrote:

"would it be best to unplug the Nova from the superhub before putting it in modem mode?"

I can't say what the Hub 3 makers recommend, but that's what I'd do.  Some devices cope very well with "plug & play", some don't, so best to assume the worst.  

The super hub 3 will reboot after changing the mode.  If the Nova hasn't connected a minute or two after the hub light has gone to straight red (modem mode) you may want to try just rebooting the nova first and then reboot both together if that didn't work. 

0 Kudos