Menu
Miltomatic
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Superhub 3 modem mode with Netgear D7000, can't see internet

I got up yesterday morning to discover I had no WiFi. My configuration is this: A SuperHub 3 in modem mode, connected to an Airport Extreme which in turn is connected by ethernet to two more AirPort Extremes. 

I tried the usual things - I reset the SH3 into router mode, and established that I could connect to the internet wirelessly, but if I switched back to modem mode I couldn't connect to the internet either by directly connecting a computer to the SH3 or by trying to re-establish my wireless network. I tried 8 different ethernet leads, including 2 brand new ones. Occasionally I managed to get a cable connection but it wouldn't last long. I have also been able to try multiple computers. 

It would seem to be either I am unlucky enough to have a lot of faulty cables or the port on the SH3 is faulty, or the SH3 is faulty in some other respect. I have ordered a cable checker and a couple of new leads but, in the meantime, does anyone have any brilliant suggestions of things I can try. I'd love to try a new SuperHub but Virgin don't make that easy. I spoke with them on the telephone on 3 occasions yesterday. 

Thanks

Milt

0 Kudos
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Superhub 3 modem mode with Netgear D7000, can't see internet

I take it the Hub3's base light remains white in router mode and magenta in modem mode.

Did you try connecting to the internet whilst wired to the Hub in router mode?
Did you re-power cylcling the Hub and Airport? (I would disconnect the other Airports when trying to resolve this issue.)

You could try a loopback test to test the ports by plugging one  end of a ethernet cable to one port of the Hub and the other end to another port, both port lights should light up if working.

As a last resort you can try Factory Resetting the Hub.

0 Kudos
Miltomatic
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Alessandro

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply.

I take it the Hub3's base light remains white in router mode and magenta in modem mode.

I have a SuperHub 3, not a Hub 3 - the SH3 doesn't have the white/pink base light.

Did you try connecting to the internet whilst wired to the Hub in router mode?

Yes, I did, and that works fine, in fact I'm using that connection right now. 

Did you re-power cylcling the Hub and Airport? (I would disconnect the other Airports when trying to resolve this issue.)

Yes I did but that doesn't help. The 2nd and 3rd Airport Extremes are currently turned off. 

You could try a loopback test to test the ports by plugging one  end of a ethernet cable to one port of the Hub and the other end to another port, both port lights should light up if working.

I tried a loopback test and the ports lit up with all my cables. That indicates the ports are fine, right? Presumably it also indicated the cables are fine too? Some of my ethernet cables are under the floors to other rooms - I can't test them with the loopback test. I have an ethernet cable tester arriving today. If the underfloor cables test OK I will have one more go at setting up the SH3 in modem mode and if that doesn't work I'm going to call time on Virgin media and try a different supplier. 

Thanks again for trying to help. 

Milt

0 Kudos
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

First thing is that there is no such thing as a SH3, do you mean The SH2AC (VMDG 490)?

I was trying to establish if the local circuit was OK, in the case of the SH2AC the tick light should be solid blue and the traffic arrows should be flashing blue. Seeing the Hub works fine in router mode then it seems the local circuit is OK.

Yes, the loopback test confirm the ports and cable used is working.

Did you power cycle by powering up the Airport first, waiting a few minutes for it to settle and then powering up the Hub?
Where does the Netgear in the title come into the equation?

You could try testing with a PC connected to the port nearest the coax with the Hub in modem mode, you may need to reboot the Hub to get the connection. This will confirm if the Hub is working in Modem Mode.
If this fails, then a Factory Reset of the Hub may help. otherwise it looks like the Hub is faulty.

0 Kudos
Miltomatic
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Alessandro

Thank you for your continuing efforts. Nothing I tried worked and so I have decided to leave VM, and given my 30 days notice. 

Thanks again.

Milt

0 Kudos
FBR_Central
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Milt - I am experiencing a similar issue (see here if you're interested) and I am also planning to give notice and leave.

Seems like these hubs cause a lot of issues down to either poor design or very cheap componentry in the basic networking.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tudor
Hero
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I have always used modem mode with VM equipment, have used lastest AirPort Extreme, previous model AirPort Extreme and currently Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite and have never had any problems as long as the correct sequence of initial startup is followed. Always, but always, get your Intranet up and running before even powering on the VM hub when it is in modem mode.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos