cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Superhub 3 keeps resetting channels

bgs264
Tuning in

I've split up the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz networks into two different SSID's, but I am having trouble with the channel assignments.

The Superhub keeps insisting on putting the 2.4Ghz network onto Channel 11, and the 5Ghz network onto Channel 44.

These channels are very congested with 4 other networks also on these channels, according to my Wifi Channel Analyzer app (Virgin is the only choice here for fast broadband with no Openreach options, so I have competition from 4 other neighbours with VMxxxxxx network names on the same channel).

In the router I

• Navigated to Advanced Settings > Wireless > Wireless Signal
  • Chosen 'Disable channel optimisation' under the Smart WiFi section
  • Selected 'Manual' for the channel and chosen 6 for 2.4Ghz network
  • Selected 'Manual' for the channel and chosen '36' for 5Ghz network
  • Applied the changes

The wireless drops for a few minutes then comes back up, on 11/44 again, when I revisit the settings page, it's retained most of the options (e.g. its left Smart Wifi disabled and the channels on 'manual') but the actual channel selection dropdown has reverted back to 11 and 44.

I have factory reset the router as well as the usual restarting it. I actually managed to get it to stick on 6 and 36 for about 24 hours, before it reverted itself again overnight and now I'm back on 11/44.

The practical trouble for me with the 5Ghz network on Channel 44 means when my laptop is connected to it, I get about 18Mbps download speed. When I manage to persuade it to get onto Channel 36, I get the full 110Mbps download speed.

I was going to give up and buy an external Netgear wireless router but then I think I shouldn't really have to do that, the router should keep on the channels I want which is enough to give me a brilliant connection.

Thanks

12 REPLIES 12

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It looks as if you have done as much as you can.  I suspect you can't do much else apart from ask for a replacement Hub.  However VM are very reluctant to issue Hubs if your current one is "working"  

Personally I made a decision to buy my own networking kit many years ago and always use the Hubs in modem mode.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

g0akc
Problem sorter

@bgs264 wrote:

I was going to give up and buy an external Netgear wireless router but then I think I shouldn't really have to do that, the router should keep on the channels I want which is enough to give me a brilliant connection.

I agree you shouldn’t have to but it appears there’s a bug, or possibly something in your environment, so it’s likely your best course of action. If there were other ISPs available you’d still have neighbouring WiFi to contend with.

You can keep on at VM, complain, go to CISAS and whatever - or save yourself the hassle as many of us have done.  I use our hub in modem mode with a 3rd party router and have escaped such trouble.

I got a decent specification known brand router for £40 off a well known auction site, so it doesn’t need to be too expensive. Obviously you can spend more if you want.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

Thanks to both for your input. I think you're right - easier to just plug my own router into it and be done.

Thanks for the responses, appreciate it.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Have you turned off smart/intelligent WiFi? That’s also changes the channels.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Just found this thread while trying to figure out my own router--and I am experiencing exactly the same thing. Just checking to see what solution you ultimately ended up with. Did you buy your own router and are you just using the Hub as a modem?

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I’ve always used every VM hub I have had in modem mode, stops not end of problems.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Our Superhub 3 (firmware 9.1.2109.200) also does not honour the manual Wi-Fi settings, I do not recall this problem in earlier firmware releases.

Comments below are all with Smart Wi-Fi Disabled :

2.4 GHz Wi-Fi - with the channel set manually the channel used changes between 1 & 6 in normal operation - the channel selection drop down also changes.

2.4 GHz Wi-Fi - with the channel set to 6 performing a reboot will see the channel switch to 1 - the channel selection drop down also changes.

The flip flop between 1 & 6 occurs even if that means the SH3 selects a busy channel that clashes with our 2x access point offering the same SSID.

5 Ghz WiFi - with the channel width manually set to 20/40 performing a reboot will see the channel width revert to 20/40/80 & the selection drop down reflects this.

This is an observation - Smart Wi-Fi may be re-enabled after a firmware update.

Hey Client62, thank you for reaching out and I sorry to see you are having some connection errors.

I have taken a look at side and everything is looking fine on our end, have you noticed any connection problems apart from the WIFI changing?

Smart WIFI will change with your devices when you move around in the house for example.

Please do let me know. Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

We have a stable DOCSYS 3.0 connection.

The defect is the Superhub 3's repeated failure to honour a Manual channel selection on the 2.4Ghz WiFi band when Smart WiFi is Disabled.