Menu
mjyounger76
Joining in
Message 11 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Superhub 3 integrated ethernet switch - port sleep, link and activity lights normal

Good point - thanks for pointing that out. 

0 Kudos
mjyounger76
Joining in
Message 12 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Superhub 3 integrated ethernet switch - port sleep, link and activity lights normal

Just to draw a line under this whole sharade, and a fair few months since my technical life was a misery with Virgins useless POS router...

Having purchased a ubiquiti edge router for approx £100, had that take over routing functions and just running the Virgin Router in modem mode - i have had nigh on zero down time in the interim period. WHen i say nigh on zero i mean around two or three times i have noticed something is not quite perfectly working and by the time ive logged on to the superhub GUI to see if its connected or not it has sorted itself out again. so the ubiquiti router has been flawless and not been restarted once.

lesson to be learnt? SUperHub 3 simply cannot handle / does not have the resources to route more than a handfull of devices in a home network. Certainly not one as busy as mine what with multiple smart home hubs, and many mahcines and other internet connected devices. I can forsee this becoming more widespread in the near future and VIrgin Media WILL HAVE TO improve on this for the next Super Hub.

0 Kudos
Tim_
Tuning in
Message 13 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I have been struggling with the same issues, I have a similarly complex network set-up, hung off the Super Hub 3.0. A Virgin engineer visited me yesterday. He explained that he had seen such problems when one of the cables going into the Super Hub has voltage / current. He was then able to show that the cable from one of my switches did have a voltage / current. (The cable from another of my switches did not.) I am now waiting for a new switch to replace the switch where the cable did have a voltage / current.  The engineer's view was that the presence of a voltage / current is enough to disrupt the Super Hub 3. I am no network expert. Does this explanation make sense???? I will update once new switch is in place.

0 Kudos
mjyounger76
Joining in
Message 14 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I am not an individual with the disposition of being privvy to that kind of "electrician" type knowledge - so that neither makes logical sense to me, but nor does it sound out of the realms of possibility.

What I can tell you is that before i resolved the issue by turning the VM Router in to a modem and using my own (still effing awesome) router, the mere act of resetting/rebooting my primary core switch in the roof (off which everything else hangs) would temporarily bring the connection/port back up and life would resume normal function for a short period. which is why this whole "voltage / signal thing" doesn't sound implausible. But equally, it feels like there is too much of this happening and too many people solving it similarly to me for Engineer man to be totally right. Don't forget i went through three Super Hubs before fixing it myself. They're either fundamentally flawed or VM are clutching at straws.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 15 of 16
Flag for a moderator

@mjyounger76 wrote:

What I can tell you is that before i resolved the issue by turning the VM Router in to a modem and using my own (still effing awesome) router,

Out of interest which Ubiquiti Edge Router model are you using - and what are you using to provide your wifi ?

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
mjyounger76
Joining in
Message 16 of 16
Flag for a moderator

For the edge router it’s this iirc -> 5poe Ubiquiti EdgeRouter ERPOE-5 5 Port PoE Router Switch https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00HXT8EUE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Zhw5Cb2H752KP And for the APs, again iirc it’s teo of these -> uap ac pro UBIQUITI NETWORKS UBI-UAP-AC-PRO 24/5Ghz 450/1300Mbps 122m - (Enterprise Computing > Routers) PoE injector included https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B016XYQ3WK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_mjw5CbSVV7JZ6 I’m not actually sure I need two but you live and learn
0 Kudos