Menu
Highlighted
mjyounger76
Joining in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Superhub 3 integrated ethernet switch - port sleep, link and activity lights normal

Hi All,

I wondered if anyone else has observed this behaviour. I am on my third SuperHub 3, and no change.

My Setup: 2 Ubiquiti WiFi AP's hard wired, three network switches all (obvs) hard wired to each other off which various things in different parts of the house sit. Hue bridge, ESXi server, SmartThings bridge, Sonos', AP's, smart thermostat, webcams etc. you get the idea - you can also imagine that when im away and it fails the brown gloop hits the roating blades with my wife. All switches are Netgear ProSafe Semi manageable switches, so they have a web gui or can be managed from Netgears pro safe plus utility. MY core switch is a GSS116E in the roof, which amongst other things takes a direct cable from the SuperHub to then supply the rest of the house with a route to the internet.

Randomly, perhaps once in a day, occasionally never in a day but often a couple of times in a 24 hour period my entire house loses internet connectivity. I can still ping and route traffic internally and do all that good stuff, but nothing past the VM SH3. Furthermore i can still managed the superhub from its remote admin feature, effectively, by connecting to manage it from the internet - thus i know the router is still online and from a WAN perspective all is good - no complaints on the connection side of things. As a side comment, I have seen a plethora of genuinely helpful VM employee respondents doing all sorts of line checks etc - THIS IS NOT WORTH YOUR OR MY TIME _ THERE IS NO WAN ISSUE. 🙂 Also - i believe the SH3 WiFi still routes to the internet, but i don't typically have it on - and haven't tested that for a little while now, which further compounds my view that there is NO WAN side ISSUE.

To rectify this situation I either pull and reinsert the Ethernet cable that goes to my core switch in the roof or remotely reboot the core switch via its web gui (easy option, from my arm chair!). I have also (in my opinion) rules out it being my network equipment by twice placing a different switch between the SH3 and the core switch and when the issue occurs, if i reboot my core switch nothing, if i pull the cable between the temp switch and the core switch nothing, yet if i pull and reinsert the cable between the SH3 and the test switch then the issue is instantly (in the time it take to pull and re-seat the cable - 1 second??) fixed.

This is driving me mad as I fully believe it to be the routers integrated Ethernet switch/ports at fault. To recap the link/activity lights on the port only ever look normal - ie lit for connected ports and flashing for activity - even when the thing has failed. I have swapped ports on the SH3 switch and also tried multiple cables to no avail. I also did not have a single issue like this with my SH2 ever. it only got replaced as part of an engineer visit when the street infrastrcuture was the culprit and also i moved to the vivid 300 service. 😞

I would happily go 'modem mode' if i knew it would resolve the issue and stick a nice Asus router in between this PoS super hub and my network IF, and its a big IF i could guarantee it resolved my problem. My fear is that it will not and the port that is used for Modem mode will just continue to mess me about and fail to pass traffic randomly.

On the other hand I have read a litany of other blog and forum posts about the SH3 in general having issues with resource utilisation and becoming overloaded and when that happens stuff fails, the logic being thereby when going into modem mode the work-shy SH3 doesn't have to do half the stuff it would do in router mode and therefore doesn't fall over so much or in as many ways.

So after that extensive diatribe - i welcome views, ideas, either in support or against my thoughts - its a free world and ultimately i just want to resolve this issue... all comers welcome! Oh and its the white superhub 3 which i understand to be the most recent one? :-s

cheers

mark

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Superhub 3 integrated ethernet switch - port sleep, link and activity lights normal

Well with your setup might as well get your own router and use modem mode.

0 Kudos
mjyounger76
Joining in
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Superhub 3 integrated ethernet switch - port sleep, link and activity lights normal

Thanks for the opinion, is there any foundation to it other than - “give it a go”?

I’m loathed to wazz £2/300 sheets on a nice Asus router which admittedly will give me some added value like parental controls / and some nice vpn stuff - only to find I’m back at square one with my primary issue of intermittent Ethernet link failure 

0 Kudos
Tudor
Hero
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

As you already have Ubiquiti kit I would advise you buy a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite. It’s just a router, not a router/network switch and WAP combined. I have one of these, two AP AC Pro’s and have just bought a Ubiquiti UniFi 8 port switch while I was recently in the US ( 40% cheaper over there!). Their router is excellent  

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
mjyounger76
Joining in
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Oooooh -interesting! Thanks.

i too have the uap ac pro... will look into this.

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

With so many switches and devices on your network, it's madness to rely on the flaky hub 3. Put it into modem mode and get yourself a decent router.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
mjyounger76
Joining in
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Thanks - yeah, beginning to realise that, ubiquiti edgerouter lite looks really clever....

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

You'll need of course one or more WAPs or mesh WiFi if you go for the Ubiquiti.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
mjyounger76
Joining in
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, I have two ubiquiti APs

0 Kudos
Andruser
Knows their stuff
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Regarding the risk of spending a fair wad without knowing that it will cure the problem, worth remembering that under UK law you're entitled to return mail/internet orders for any reason within 14 days of receipt, but make sure you're dealing with a supplier with a good reputation - some seem to go out of their way to make returning stuff difficult, and approaches to return postage vary.  Amazon are obviously very good on returns, but be careful if the item is an Amazon Marketplace order with a third party - the vendor may operate differently.

0 Kudos