cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Superhub 3 ethernet connected but can't connect to internet wifi is fine

jbraner
Dialled in

Hi,

I'm going to post this while I search for something similar.

Yesterday afternoon, out of nowhere, my PC (ethernet connection to superhub 3) dropped it's internet connection. It is "connected", but not getting an ip address from DHCP etc. My laptop and phones - coneected by wifi are fine.

I tried many things (will run through in a minute) but here's the weird thing - If I access the router (from the laptop) and run "Network Diagnostic Tool" from the home page - my PC ethernet connection comes back for about 10 minutes or so! Then it's gone again. It's actually still doing the wifi tests when it "fixes" my ethernet connection (the wifi doesn't need anything fixed)

NOTE: This only works when I disable the firewall on the SuperHub 3.

This tells me that cables etc are fine, and AV (Kaspersky, which is always my first thing to check) is OK too - otherwise it wouldn't work at all. Does anyone have any idea what this Diagnostic Tool is actually doing? And then what is being "undone" 10 minutes later.

======= boring details

My PC is dual boot, and both Windows (Win 10 20H2) versions do the same thing. I actually completely uninstalled Kaspersky AV and it still gets no connection (without the above mentioned trick). I tried uninstalling the latest Windows update too. It installed earlier in the day (on both of the dual boot partitions) but was working fine until the afternoon when this started.

I tried uninstalling/reinstalling different versions of the LAN driver - no help.

I'm running out of ideas - but it's looking more and more like the super hub 3 is causing it. Unless there's something in Windows "undoing" whatever the diagnostic tool fixes (?!)

The crux of it is this - everything is OK for a few minutes when running those diagnostic tests. So *something* is being done to fix the connection, and then *something* is breaking it again.

Does anyone have any ideas? I'll search these forums and google, and if I'm desperate I'll try phoning VM support...

Thanks.

John B

rgds,

John B
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I wouldn't disable the Firewall if I was you, by the way,

However, try a full 60 second pinhole reset on the Hub.  Do not reboot the Hub after the 60 seconds, just let it do it's thing.

Also make sure the passwords on the bottom of the Hub are readable, as you will need them after this factory reset.

There are other threads here about failing ethernet ports and some have had to get a replacement Hub, but try the reset first.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I wouldn't disable the Firewall if I was you, by the way,

However, try a full 60 second pinhole reset on the Hub.  Do not reboot the Hub after the 60 seconds, just let it do it's thing.

Also make sure the passwords on the bottom of the Hub are readable, as you will need them after this factory reset.

There are other threads here about failing ethernet ports and some have had to get a replacement Hub, but try the reset first.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

OK - thanks, I'll try this later. I got instructions from another post...

rgds,

John B

Adduxi
Many thanks for the suggestion - the full reset did the trick.;)
I'm going to try to find the other post that had instructions - to thank him/her 😉

Rgds,
John B

EDIT - firewall is enabled too 😉

rgds,

John B