Menu
alinnen
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Superhub 3 and Poweline Adapters

Hi there, 

I've recently had a Superhub 3 installed with the 500 mb/s bundle. After doing some speed tests, it appears that I'm losing of 2/3rds of performance from my bedroom where most of my devices are, compared to standing right next to the modem. There is a particularly bad black spot in my room where a speed test registers 50 mb/s, perhaps my ceiling is lead-lined! 

In order to get the sort of performance I'm paying for throughout the house, I've decided to look into getting a powerline adapter. Would this model be compatible with the Superhub 3 and suitable for my new broadband plan? I did some research beforehand and noticed some people were having issues with certain powerline products and the Superhub 3. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0723C86CX?pf_rd_p=330fbd82-d4fe-42e5-9c16-d4b886747c64&pf_rd_r=...

Thanks in advance.  

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Superhub 3 and Poweline Adapters

Don't see why not, but don't expect to get close to the advertised speeds, other option could attach a wireless access point onto the hub, since the WiFi on hub3 isn't that great

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi alinnen,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community 🙂

Sorry to hear of the slow speeds. Have you got a smartphone? If so, can you download the Virgin Media Connect App? When installed, you can do a wireless scan on the app for coverage black spots. You can find out more here

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Tudor
Hero
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

VM speeds, as with ALL ISPs, are only measurable at the hub via an Ethernet cabled connection, they do not guarantee WiFi speeds.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@Tudor wrote:

VM speeds, as with ALL ISPs, are only measurable at the hub via an Ethernet cabled connection, they do not guarantee WiFi speeds.

For something they don't guarantee they do want to sell their boosters.

0 Kudos
tonycv51
Rising star
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

You need a pair and the link you posted said it was a single, though I wonder if it is a listing error as the starter kit appeared to be just a few pounds more but listed lan cables as well (and in my experience they come with these but they could just be cheap cat 5 cables) 

The spec ie av1000 is duplex so will be 500 max each way.  The version you've linked does have gigabit ports, but even so would be surprised if you get above 200 and could be quite a bit less

Although you're on 500 does anything actually not work in the bedroom with a speed of 50 on multiple devices?

Sounds like the only way you'd get 500 in the room would be with a wired access point or a good mesh wifi

As VM have suggested you can use the Connect app or other free app to map 2.4 and 5ghz strength over the house to help decide

0 Kudos
andrewkp
Dialled in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The best powerline adapters are Devolo Magic 2 which are rated to 2400mbs.  They do a good job but you will never see anything like that speed unless they are connected on the same ring (same fuse essentially).  The kit with one base station and two adapters is around £240 and for that money you may be better off sticking the virgin hub into modem mode and buying something like an Asus AC5300.  Putting the hub into modem mode generally can help with other issues also. 

However first try putting the phone/pc into airplane mode/wifi off and back on again and see if that helps.  Your speed of 50mbs seems as if it would be on 2.4GHz and I'm wondering if doing this might get it back to the faster but weaker 5GHz band which may marginally improve things.  Also try moving the hub away from the wall and other things like TVs.  Maybe stick it in the middle of the room as an experiment.  On android, iPhone, PCs etc there are various apps to help look for contention and signal strength.  I use WiFi Analyser. 

0 Kudos