Menu
Highlighted
kbringloe
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Superhub 3 and Direct Access

Hi there.

I have a work laptop that uses Microsoft Direct Access (DA) to connect to my office environment. DA is configured using IPv6 and was working fine up until recently.

Now when I connect my laptop to either my Superhub 3, either wired or wirelessly, the DA connection fails leaving me with no internet or connection to work. I have tried putting the Superhub into Modem mode, and this seems to connect properly. However this is not a workable solution as I then lose connectivity with all my other wireless devices.

Given that it was working perfectly until recently has there been a firmware update or the like that has 'broken' my connection? 

Interestingly, at one of the sites I work at there is a Virginmedia WiFi connection and when I connect to that my DA works perfectly, as it does on pretty much any other Internet connection either wired, wireless or 4G.

Any thoughts or advice would be welcomed.

Regards

Keith

0 Kudos
errr_its_me
Joining in
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Superhub 3 and Direct Access

1) The NAT component of the superhub is stopping direct access reaching your laptop, you could try port mapping (check with works IT helpdesk)

2) Virgin do not support ipv6, for some weak excuse.

0 Kudos
legacy1
Legend
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Your firmware might have changed but unlikely and I find it odd that you say it did work then not...your option you can do is use modem mode and get your own router.

0 Kudos
kbringloe
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks.

I have been in touch with the office IT and DA is only using port 443 i.e. HTTPS.

Can you advise what I should do to try port mapping?

Regards

Keith

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hello Keith

I wonder what happened there doesn't look to have been a firmware update. We have a guide to help with port forwarding/triggering Setting Up Port Forwarding and Port Triggering on your Virgin Media Hub (please remember on the hub3 to add ports in ascending order)

If that doesn't work it is possible to reserve the LAN IP for your work laptop in the DHCP menu in the hub and then set it as DMZ in the hub GUI. This will present it sans hub firewall to the internet, although please be mindful of the security implications of that, it may be worth chatting to your work IT team first.

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos