Menu
MAGOO1965
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Superhub 3 WIFI dropping out

I've had trouble with the superbub 3 since it was installed a couple of months back.  It has been continuously dropping the WIFI connection, although anything hard wired via ethernet is still ok.  I have phoned Virgin Media on numerous occasions and one particular time, they tell me that it was a firmware issue, the last time a lady answered who didn't even have a clue what I was telling her about the hub losing the WIFI connectivity!

Please can someone help with this issue?

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Superhub 3 WIFI dropping out

If you haven't done this already - try it first - it helps sort quite a few Hub3 wifi issues.   Go into the Hub3 settings... (type in  http://192.168.0.1  or  http://192.168.100.1 into your web browser’s url box) and in "smart wifi" (if you have it)  disable "channel optimisation".  Then, in advanced>wireless>security, rename the 2.4 & 5 GHz network ssid's.  Just change 'em to whatever you like and something that will differentiate them (e.g - xxxxx2 & xxxxx5) -- use the same password  if you like,  Then, save settings and restart the Hub.  Your 2 wifi networks will now be clearly separated - and you can then select the network you want each device to connect to individually from the "available networks" list on each device.  5 GHz is usually better and subject to less interference than the 2.4 one - although this one has the better "range" and some older/cheaper devices can only use this one.  See if that helps. 

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Emma_E
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi MAGOO1965,

Welcome to the forums, I am sorry to see you have been having trouble with your connection.

I have taken a look and your downstream power levels are a little bit on the low side which will not help your connection. I would like to get an engineer out to take a look at this for you.

I will pop you a Pm to get this arranged. Keep an eye out for the Purple Envelope top right hand corner.

Speak to you soon.

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
MAGOO1965
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Emma,

The problem is, is that I work full time through the week, the only day I have at home is usually a Saturday and I suspect you guys don't work Sundays.  I thought that an appointment had been made for last Saturday, but then someone sent me an appointment for Tuesday, but I asked if they could keep Saturday's but no one got back to me.  I'm blind you see and I find it difficult to go into the HUB settings like someone asked me to do and change the settings in there.  Unfortunately there is only me in the house who has IT skill and can access the PC and Super Hub to login and do anything.  Also I have seen some YouTube videos stating that there is a major issue with the Super Hub 3 and people are experiencing similar issues.  I would however, be grateful for any help and advice to tray and sort this issue.  I am just disappointed that my internet seems to be going down all the time and more frequently since the Super Hub 3 has been installed, and yet we're still paying top dollar for our internet service.  If an engineer can call on a Saturday that would be ideal, if not I am unsure what can be done, unless you have the capability to access your systems remotely.

0 Kudos
MAGOO1965
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the response,

Problem is that I am registered Blind, I am unsure about doing anything like this, I am no expert and have limited experience doing this king of thing.  I only have one channel showing on the Super Hub, there is no 2.4mhz or 5mhz showing.  I have seen some so called experts on the Internet saying that this Super Hub 3 is also a WIFI hotspot, which I didn't sign up for and don't want.  But this guy also says that the hub has many issues that haven't really been sorted by Virgin Media even though they have rolled it out.  I will try and have a go and change things, perhaps at the weekend when I have more time.  The one channel I have going at the moment is still set to default with a default password.  I guess there is an option to activate the two channels both 2.4mhz and the 5mhz you talk about.  I also had a UNIFI long range repeater wired into the Hub, which works absolutely perfectly, but I have turned this off at the request of the previous engineer to ensure there is no interference.  I also believe that there has been some overheating problem with the Hub.  However, at the moment the WIFI is stable, not sure why, but I'm expecting it to drop at any time.

0 Kudos
MAGOO1965
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Emma,

I have been in touch with Virgin Media today, again the Super Hub has gone down!  So they tell me that the Super Hub isn't actually faulty...mmmm!  It turns out that adjustments need to be made to the input to the Hub, what the hell that means I have no idea!  So, an engineer is calling out on Tuesday to make some adjustments, which should hopefully solve my problems.  How the heck can adjusting the input into the Hub from the exchange have an affect on the WIFI output of the Hub!  Anyway, decision made, if this issue is not resolved on Tuesday, it's time to look for a new provider.  I am so disillusioned with Virgin Media at the moment I am unsure if I am going to stay with them long term.  I think at this moment Virgin Media would win the gold medal for the most unreliable broadband service provider in my books. 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

When he comes ask him to disable channel optimisation and rename the ssid's of the 2.4 & 5 GHz networks so that you can connect to the best one  individually on each device.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Emma_E
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi MAGOO1965, 

Thanks for getting back to me I did wonder from the name. 

Right we can book in an engineer for a Saturday if that would help at all, but as suspected the engineers don't usually come out on a Sunday. 

There are still power levels issues so I am unsure what the person on the phone has done. 

I will pop you a PM so we can book in an engineer. 

Please include the best contact number and I will pop it on the engineer notes.

Speak to you soon. 

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos