Had a lengthy call with Virgin today - long story short (and after the Virgin CS rep hung up on me!) I got a call back from a supervisor.
I made it clear, I want a SH2ac or a date when the firmware will land (or a new SH3.x / 4? or ability for us to source our own) OR I will cancel my account.
I have been promised a call back within 3 days with
1) Whether she can source me a SH2ac 2) Date when firmware will be available 3) If there are any other alternatives (new HUBs pending etc)
In the meantime, she agree to re-enable my SH2 (VMDG485) so I can use it in modem mode (which I have now done - I can play online games again but I think I have an inherent fault with the SH2 as I get a few disconnects a day).
I'll post back when the supervisor calls me again (I have already started looking at alternative broadband suppliers!).
Good news - she acknowledged the chipset fault. It's a (small) step in the right direction.
Oh dear. There will no doubt be others poised with a similar reply!
1) Let's hope. If they can, watch the floodgates of applications. 2) Yeah right - unless they've already decided. But the issue can't be fixed as I've explained. 3) Yeah right - unless they've ditched the Arris Hub 3 and are ready to roll with something else.
Do come back to us in 3 days (and that'll be a first too).
Please don't get too excited. As I've already explained, VM would be flooded with complaints if they didn't replace Puma 6 hubs should they bring one out that fixes the bug. It would cost them a fortune.
So it is more than likely that they'll move to DOCSIS 3.1 when ready and a new hub will come with that. It would be a very brave VM that would come out with a new hub for DOCSIS 3 without compensating users who are suffering from the Puma 6 issue.