Menu
230Daniel
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Superhub 3 Dropping Wired Connection

Since the end of 2018 I have been using a wired connection to my Virgin Media Super Hub 3. I use Netgear powerline adaptors to avoid running a long Ethernet cable through the house. This setup has been working fine until a couple of months ago.

Since a couple of months ago my Ethernet connection has been cutting out for a second or so quite frequently. It cuts out and after a while Windows recognises that the connection has "No internet access" and switches to WiFi. After I unplug and replug the Ethernet cable into my computer Windows recognises that the connection now has internet access and switches to it.

A couple of weeks ago I replaced my powerline adaptors, assuming they were the problem. Since replacing them I have noticed no improvement in connectivity. I also have a raspberry pi running Linux connected to the router by the powerline adaptors, and with a simple script I wrote I can see that its connection cuts out at the same time as my computer.

WiFi is unaffected, and I have tried using different Ethernet cables and different ports on the router. Lots of other people have reported the same issue on these forums, but none have received a solution to this problem.

I looked on the hub's "Network Log" and the same two messages were repeated frequently:

RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
Lost MDD Timeout;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

I'm probably just going to get the "I can't see anything wrong from our end", but surely there's been enough people report this issue for Virgin to see that there is something wrong here?

Thanks, from Daniel.

0 Kudos
sjp123
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Superhub 3 Dropping Wired Connection

Any chance of dodgy cables or a dying network adapter on the pc/laptop?

0 Kudos
230Daniel
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

As I said in my question, I have tried replacing all cables and the laptop is very new. It happens at the same time on a separate wired device.
0 Kudos
gcarter
Dialled in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

With this and any troubleshooting endeavours its usually a good idea to rule out the main components.  Granted you have replaced the powerline adapters to no avail. Perhaps its the hub itself which is faulty.  As you stated, there may be others having the same problem, but wouldn't harm to contact customer services and state your hubs faulty and get a free replacement.

Obviously if the problem remains then efforts can be concentrated elsewhere :-) 

0 Kudos
Tudor
Hero
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Power line adapters are susceptible to interference on the mains. Could be cause by some device in your home or even a neighbour’s home. I know they are a pain to run in your home, but they will always give you an excellent uninterrupted connection. These days you can get flat Ethernet cable that is easily hidden or another option is to run the cable externally. It pays off in the long run.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal
0 Kudos