Menu
jabez-inwards
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Superhub 2ac modem mode : slow, connection drops out

My Superhub 2ac wont allow my VOIP phone to work, so I switched the router to Modem mode and bought a fantastic Fritz!Box 4040 router. With that, my VOIP phone works perfectly. I think everyone knows there's an issue with SIP and the Virgin routers. 

Unfortunately, in modem mode the internet connection is rubbish : less than half the speed, and drops out the whole time. Why is this? Drives me mad.... So I've had to go back to Router mode. (And of course, then I can't use my VOIP phone...)

What's wrong with modem mode on my Superhub 2ac and how can I fix it? Any help very welcome, please!

Many thanks

0 Kudos
Static
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Superhub 2ac modem mode : slow, connection drops out

Sounds like an odd situation, do you know if the Hub loses connection to the network during these drop outs? Do the lights on the side change colour?

It’s possible that the fritzbox, for whatever reason, is suddenly having some issues.
Have you checked for firmware updates for the fritzbox?
Try turning the QoS on/off on it to see if the speeds improve.

Are wired connections slow or is it just the wireless?
0 Kudos
jabez-inwards
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hey thanks for that. I've updated the Fritz!Box to the latest version, 7.01.
The hub doesn't seem to lose connection as far as I can tell, but what is interesting is when I do a speedtest, during the upload part it takes 1/2 to 2/3 of the time before anything happens.

My Virgin Superhub in Router mode typically manages the following speeds:
74 down, 5.1 up, Ping 7 -- on my pc
72 down, 6 up, ping 9 (but can be 132 or 101) on my phone

If I use the Fritz!Box for this the speeds are more variable and drop to:
31 to 40 down, 0.5 up, ping 7 on my pc
62 to 70 down, 0.2 to 0.95 up, ping variously 8, 89, 117, 236, 232, 852 (on 6 tests)

So in summary using the Fritz!Box I get half the download speeds and 1/10 the upload speeds on my pc.

I can't see how to turn the QoS on/off on the Fritz...

Many thanks for any help
0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

It seems the issue is with this Fritz!Box can you connect a PC to the hub in modem mode and do a test? (to allow a MAC change power off the hub for 2 mins?

If speeds are good you can try and copy the MAC from the PC to the Fritz!Box.

0 Kudos
jabez-inwards
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hey, thanks very much for your suggestions. You were right, of course: the issue was with the Fritz!Box.

Oddly there's a setting where you have to enter the actual upload and download speeds of your modem. I thought it would know that automatically, but no... Entering the correct values sorted it out.
https://en.avm.de/service/fritzbox/fritzbox-4040/knowledge-base/publication/show/45_Internet-access-...

Thanks for your helpful suggestion.
0 Kudos
Moderator (Retired) Ty_S
Moderator (Retired)
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi jabez-inwards

Thanks for updating the thread and great to hear that everything has been sorted. If there are any further issues please let us know,
Thanks,
Ty

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos