Menu
daveeb
Dialled in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Superhub 2 wifi issues

Hi all

I've read the message about a known issue with wifi but that was nearly a year ago so i'll ask anyway.

Wifi has started cutting out at least once a day across all devices, generally in the evening. A reboot is required to fix it. The lights all look normal (the box doesn't reboot itself), the 2g and 5 g ssid's are visible, just no internet. Wired internet is unaffected.

It's been fine for years up until now, we live in detached house so no very close neighbours. no obvious sources of interference being used that coincide with the dropouts. It's really infuriating and i've just signed up to another contract.

Any advice gratefully received.

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Community elder
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Superhub 2 wifi issues

Have you had electricity or gas smart meters fitted recently?

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
daveeb
Dialled in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

No meters fitted. Nothing not even a new light bulb.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

It may be developing wifi circuitry problems or a bug (there is one reported on randomly swithching password from wpa to wep).  I think you have 2 choices.  Call in as a fault and get a Hub3 replacement. Or, stick it in modem mode and connect up your own wifi router.  Its what I and lots of others on here do.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
daveeb
Dialled in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that. I have had it in modem mode in the past and at some point it stopped working so I had to revert to wireless mode and it's been pretty good really.

I'll probably give it a little longer to see how things go then call in as a fault. it could be out of the frying pan into the fire though (superhub 3 ?).

I did notice that somebody else who posted with a similar problem here got the offer of being sent a shub 3. Would I be able to do that without having to endure offshore CS and is it possible to install one without an engineers visit (i'm not sure how easy it is to attach the white cable coax? connection).

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

SH2 is a perfectly good modem for up to the 220mbps service which I have.  I prefer to control my own wifi environment with a better quality system with the added benefit of never having to call VM CS if it develops a problem - I sort it myself.

However, Hub3 is a dead easy installation simple swap cables and instructions - dont forget to call in and activate a new Hub.

A VM staff person should pick this up, although it may be up to a week, and will likely offer to send you out the new hub.  Ought to be quicker if you try calling “Retentions” on 150 or 0345 454 1111 - options 1-1-4-5 "thinking of leaving" then “technical issues” – (They are open Monday - Friday 8am - 8pm and on Saturday from 8am - 6pm. - 08.01 is best!) you have a better chance of getting a UK call centre (it might still be a 30’+ wait though) who will be more understanding and helpful.  Tell them you are planning to leave as your wifi has gone kaput.  They will either send a Hub3 or a technician to fix it - which will be him swapping it for a Hub3 !

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
daveeb
Dialled in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks JB, I've spoken to retentions a few times and they're usually helpful. For now I might wait a bit, see how my issue goes and see if anyone picks it up here.

Thanks for the replies.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

OK - if they dont - just start a new thread with a title like "SH2 wifi kaput I need a new Hub please" - that should catch their eye Smiley Happy

--------------------
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Emma_E
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi daveeb, 

Thanks for getting in touch, I have just popped you a reply on another thread. 

Take a look at the PM I popped across and get back to me when you can. 

Take care. 

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

daveeb
Dialled in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Emma

Thanks for the reply. I have PM'd you back.

0 Kudos