cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Superhub 2 security

keith_fuller
On our wavelength

According to the June 2022 issue of the Which Magazine regarding Superhub 2 and security  “..it’s not surprising that our hackers made light work of compromising the router and discovering a way of retrieving password information” -  customers should ask VM for an upgrade. How can I do this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
21 REPLIES 21

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Put it in modem mode with a better router.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Anonymous
Not applicable

Existing Virgin Media customers with a Super Hub 2ac, or older, can easily upgrade to a Hub 3, at no extra cost.

Download the Virgin Media Connect app and connect to the current Hub via 3G or 4G on your phone – without your Virgin WiFi being turned on. It will suggest to upgrade to the Hub 3 and you can collect this free from your local shop. There will be no new contract or price change.

Matthew_ML
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey keith_fuller, thank you for your post regrading the Hub2.

All our hubs have the latest update security features on and they are very safe and reliable to use. 

Have you been accessing any issues with the hub at all or are you just worried about the security features of it? Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

Hello,

My concern is that Hub2 has now been picked out twice by the Which consumer magazine as being easily hacked so, even though it has all the latest updates, is it still less secure than more modern routers? Meanwhile I’ll try to find out from Which how they’ve arrived at their conclusion.

Hi Keith,

As advised above you may be eligible for an upgrade, you can check this on your Online Account.

Regards

Paul.

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your reply,

Unfortunately there’s no upgrade offer on my account so it looks like I have a couple options if I want more security:-

Upgrade to a package that includes a more modern SH

Buy a different router and use the SH in modem mode only

Neither particularly appeal as they both involve additional cost so I’ll probably take a look at alternative providers when my discounts come to an end in August.

Regards

Keith

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Don't believe everything you read in Which. They go on evidence from consumers that is not always fully verified.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

I believe, from memory, that the issue with the Hub 2 was that they all used the same default password when supplied, unlike the Hub 3 and later which all have factory set different login passwords. Although owners are advised to change the default, in reality a large number of customers never bother and so on that basis the 2s were regarded as insecure as there are a lot of them around with a password known by world+dog!

If you have logged in and changed the password from the default then you should be fine.

Anonymous
Not applicable