cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Superhub 2 replacement

Ian21
Joining in

We are having problems connecting to the internet with mobiles & tablets. Using Superhub 2. Would it be possible to to get a newer router from VM?

Thanks

Ian

5 REPLIES 5

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

VM will not at the moment simply swap a working Hub for a new one - unless it is demonstrably "broken".

So, is that just over wifi ?  What specifically are thee "problems" you are having?

What are connections like on ethernet cable connections?

If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection related?

I have an SH2 but its always been in modem mode and I use my own better quality wireless equipment

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Some days I get a message on the phone could not connect to internet. Reboot the router, then its okay for a few days.

Router connected to pc via ethernet cable.That connection is okay.

Buying my own router and using the SH2 as modem was my intention, but I am getting some access points fitted to extend the range throughout the house and the engineer said try the SH2 with the access points before you buy another router.

I will try that first.

I just thought a newer VM router might improve things.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
The newer Hubs have more down channels than the SH2 so that will help connectivity - if needed! But as the wired PC is fine I suspect it would make little difference.

WAP's are probably the best solution to the wifi issues - its just that some people are reluctant to run ethernet cabling - as you are not - see how they go - it should sort it.

I use my own router as the SH2 is just not a good router - little functionality and poor user options - hence I wanted better. If you dont need more router "sophistication" then ok leave it as it is.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks for the info John.

Getting the house rewired at the mo, so easy enough to have cables anywhere just now.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Get Cat6a ethernet cabling... solid core is better than stranded cables too.

If you can, run them in conduit tubing - so if in the event of them "failing" in the future (they can do!) - then they can be used as "pull ropes" to get replacements through.

--------------------
John
--------------------