Menu
BigStevie1973
Tuning in
Message 51 of 63
Flag for a moderator

Re: SuperHub - alternative routers?

@Cubecrazy wrote:

I’m moving house soon a and will take the opportunity to ditch virgin for one simple reason.

- so-called “SuperHub 3.0”

its a joke and a rip off. 

If if your gonna monopolise the management of your modem, then have the decency to provide something that’s not as useful as a brick being used as a floatation device.

Appalling.

I actually have most things hardwired into the router and for that, it is brilliant. Following the recent upgrade, the WiFi is certainly better but even though my computer's hardwired connection is at 1Gbps and my WiFi is at 1.3Gbps, I still get much slower downloads on WiFi, which just doesn't make sense.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 52 of 63
Flag for a moderator

@BigStevie1973 wrote:

I actually have most things hardwired into the router and for that, it is brilliant. Following the recent upgrade, the WiFi is certainly better but even though my computer's hardwired connection is at 1Gbps and my WiFi is at 1.3Gbps, I still get much slower downloads on WiFi, which just doesn't make sense.

It does make sense if you do some research on WiFi. 1.3Gbps is the link speed of your device and theoretical max speed, but not the max real world speed. 

Below is a breakdown of the various 802.11 WiFi standards and their corresponding maximum speeds. Theoretical wireless speeds (combined upstream and downstream) are as follows:
802.11b - 11 Mbps (2.4GHz)
802.11a - 54 Mbps (5 GHz)
802.11g - 54 Mbps (2.4GHz)
802.11n - 600 Mbps (2.4GHz and 5 GHz) - 150Mbps typical for network adapters, 300Mbps, 450Mbps, and 600Mbps speeds when bonding channels with some routers
802.11ac - 1300+Mbps (5 GHz) - newer standard that uses wider channels, QAM and spatial streams for higher throughput

Actual wireless speeds vary significantly from the above theoretical maximum speeds due to:
distance - distance from the access point, as well as any physical obstructions, such as walls, signal-blocking or reflecting materials affect signal propagation and reduce speed
interference - other wireless networks and devices in the same frequency in the same area affect performance
shared bandwidth - available bandwidth is shared between all users on the same wireless network.

In addition, net IP layer throughput of WiFi is typically 60% of the air link rate due to WiFi being half-duplex with ACKs, and being CSMA/CA. The number of simultaneous connections, and even the type of wireless security can affect and slow down some older routers with inadequate processors/memory.

Below is a breakdown of actual real-life average speeds you can expect from wireless routers within a reasonable distance, with low interference and small number of simultaneous clients:
802.11b - 2-3 Mbps downstream, up to 5-6 Mbps with some vendor-specific extensions.
802.11g - ~20 Mbps downstream
802.11n - 40-50 Mbps typical, varying greatly depending on configuration, whether it is mixed or N-only network, the number of bonded channels, etc. Specifying a channel, and using 40MHz channels can help achieve 70-80Mbps with some newer routers. Up to 100 Mbps achievable with more expensive commercial equipment with 8x8 arrays, gigabit ports, etc.
802.11ac - 70-100+ Mbps typical, higher speeds (200+ Mbps) possible over short distances without many obstacles, with newer generation 802.11ac routers, and client adapters capable of multiple streams.

I got the above from this site: http://www.speedguide.net/faq/what-is-the-actual-real-life-speed-of-wireless-374

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out.
My setup: V6 TV box, Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

0 Kudos
BigStevie1973
Tuning in
Message 53 of 63
Flag for a moderator

Thansk for that Scott, good to know.

Cubecrazy
Tuning in
Message 54 of 63
Flag for a moderator

Can I ask if the suggestion in modem only mode is that the add on piece of equipment acts as the dhcp?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 55 of 63
Flag for a moderator

@Cubecrazy wrote:

Can I ask if the suggestion in modem only mode is that the add on piece of equipment acts as the dhcp?

Yes, in modem mode the hub turns off the router functions and works as just a modem so my Netgear router handles DHCP, wireless settings, QOS, parental controls, etc.

TimmyMallett
On our wavelength
Message 56 of 63
Flag for a moderator

A year or so on and we bought Google WiFi and put the sh3 in modem mode and this appears to have fixed all our issues. We used to get a lot of connection issues with VoIP burning the last six months with Google we've had not a single issue, touch wood. It's stable as a rock, much better signal strength and with a very  good app that gives you some really good real time data down to a per device level including testing connections I can definitely recommend.

0 Kudos
Tudor
Hero
Message 57 of 63
Flag for a moderator

The Hub3, it’s NEVER been called a SuperHub3, works excellently as a modem. It’s a cheap-and-cheerful (cheerless) piece of kit, built down to a price and the router/network switch/wireless access point functions are just not up to it. It’s what you get when you cram everything into one box with one CPU.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Community elder
Message 58 of 63
Flag for a moderator

I won't say "excellently", I'd give it a rating of 3/5 after the firmware update partly fixed the latency problem which plagued Puma 6 modems.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Highlighted
SG114
Joining in
Message 59 of 63
Flag for a moderator

Edit: dupe post

0 Kudos
SG114
Joining in
Message 60 of 63
Flag for a moderator

You are correct that it has never been called a Superhub, however cut people some slack when the past years have got users to think of them as such.

Super Hub - Super Hub 2 - Super Hub 2ac - then just Hub 3.

Wonder why they dropped the Super...
0 Kudos