cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SuperHub 5

NewtonsFlux
Joining in

Dear All,

I am not tech-savvy so I am hoping I might get some help from here, been a VM customer for quite a few years for broadband-only, on the up to 200Mbs package and it has overall been okay over the years, VM sent me the email for the new hub 5, so thinking it would be an improvement as it is now wifi-6 enabled went for it, installed as per instructions and immediately no internet connection, looked online and you have to register your install/hub (nothing in the instructions stating this) eventually up and running on the router but then took me ages to change everything in my house, Sonos system, nest protect & thermostat, Sky, etc

Everything keeps dropping out, and I am constantly getting no internet service on my devices, when I can check the speed it is abysmal with the ping ranging from 8ms up to 3kms and speeds of about 50Mbps, total downgrade to the system, have run a test with VM, they say everything is fine, yet it clearly is not.

Am I missing something, or is there anything I should be doing to enable better speeds and coverage? Would it be worth my time and money investing in a decent router (was thinking of the TP-Link AX6600 as the UI looks to be quite normal and I may be able to get decent coverage) the only thing stopping me at the moment is the sporadic speeds and ping I am currently getting if I put the hub as a modem only and feed into the new router will things improve?

Apologies for the long ramble and I hope that I get a few positive replies here.

Regards, Isaac

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

lotharmat
Community elder
Hmmm.. Might be worth splitting the WiFi bands!

You can split the WiFi bands by accessing your hub settings - to do this, you'll need to be connected to your hub and type in 192.168.0.1 into your web browser. You;ll then need to enter your hub's setting password (this can be found on the bottom of the hub).

Once you've access the dashboard, you'll need to go to advanced settings and then wireless - security. From there, you just need to change the SSIDs of both the 2.4ghz and the 5ghz signal to different names, you can just add on 2G and 5G to the end of the current network name.

Hit Save and then it should work!

Bear in mind that you'll have to reconnect all of your devices to the new SSIDs

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/seperating-router-into-2-4ghz-and-5ghz/m-p/432397...

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

lotharmat
Community elder
Hmmm.. Might be worth splitting the WiFi bands!

You can split the WiFi bands by accessing your hub settings - to do this, you'll need to be connected to your hub and type in 192.168.0.1 into your web browser. You;ll then need to enter your hub's setting password (this can be found on the bottom of the hub).

Once you've access the dashboard, you'll need to go to advanced settings and then wireless - security. From there, you just need to change the SSIDs of both the 2.4ghz and the 5ghz signal to different names, you can just add on 2G and 5G to the end of the current network name.

Hit Save and then it should work!

Bear in mind that you'll have to reconnect all of your devices to the new SSIDs

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/seperating-router-into-2-4ghz-and-5ghz/m-p/432397...

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@NewtonsFlux wrote:

<snip>

Am I missing something, or is there anything I should be doing to enable better speeds and coverage? Would it be worth my time and money investing in a decent router (was thinking of the TP-Link AX6600 as the UI looks to be quite normal and I may be able to get decent coverage) the only thing stopping me at the moment is the sporadic speeds and ping I am currently getting if I put the hub as a modem only and feed into the new router will things improve?

The Hub 5 is by invite only, and as such is really on trial by any other name.  If you have a spread of IoT devices, I would recommend either a Mesh system or PoE Access Points.  Depending on the size of a property, a single router will never give the spread of coverage. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Dear Lotharmat,

Thank you for your reply, I will give this a try tomorrow as I have had to purchase a USB to LAN adapter first as the laptop does not have a port, failing this I still have my old hub so may revert back to this as it was all working okay.

Dear Adduxi,

Thank you for your reply and suggestions, I will give the hub a try as per the previous suggestion but failing that will look into possibly a mesh system.

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @NewtonsFlux

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

Keep us updated with how you get on.

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Update

So I tried changing the SSIDs as per suggestion and there was no change, was totally frustrated, took the new hub and power lead back out of my system (its all neatly cable formed into a loom) and tried to get my old hub back in as I knew that worked okay, for some reason it wouldn’t let me log in on the old hub, tried resetting etc but no joy, decided to put the new hub 5 back in, because at least it worked to a degree, and was thinking of splashing out a bit and getting a mesh system installed and have this new hub as a modem as per other suggestions online.

Re-installed hub 5 and changed SSID back to my previously changed name, everything in the house reconnected automatically and after doing a few tests all seems to be working okay, so maybe it was a combination of both changing SSIDs and a reboot but the ping and jitter seem to be improved vastly, not sure if this is what I should be looking at but when it was bad the ping was ranging from 50-250ms and jitter was up to 2500ms, last few tests and it has been a ping of 30ms and jitter of 1.9-4.9ms, speed is 200+ But the speed was never the issues it was the unstable connection.

I will keep an eye on things and if I have anymore trouble then will look at the mesh route, but thank you all for your help and suggestions it is much appreciated!!

Kind regards,

Isaac 

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

There are reports on this Forum that the trial Hub 5 may need a pinhole reset to force the latest firmware down after the initial install.  It may be prudent to do this at some point.

Welcome to the cutting edge of technology and firmware trials 😉

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Alan_B
On our wavelength

Glad  I'm noy alone the Hub 3 worked, thus Hub 5 does not, most of the time. Also teh Connect App for trouble shooting is not compatible with this HUb. What are VM doing?

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

For your information, you can only have one hub registered to an account at one time, that’s why the Hub3 would not work. By the way it’s a Hub5, not SuperHub5, there has never been ones since the SuperHub2ac and the Hub3 and Hub4 are far from super, looks like the Hub5 is following that trend.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2