cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SuperHub 5 - flashing white light

Viva
On our wavelength

Since around midnight the Superhub 5 started flashing white and broadband went down. 

I thought it would be back up and running by the morning but nothing, also no service problems mentioned for the area, leading me to believe it’s the hub itself. 

The router being down affects the heating, lights, camera, etc. and the like, used for my mother with Alzheimer’s. Waiting days for a technician is not a good option. 

11 REPLIES 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmmm it may be a case of needing a technician unfortunately. Some of these Hub 5s only seem to have a lifetime of 3 months. Try a reboot and failing that a pinhole reset (although the latter may affect your smart device settings). 

See https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Hub-5-rapidly-flashing-white-light/m-p/4944...

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Unfortunately this is a known problem with the Hub 5, where it "bricks" itself.  I've flagged for staff to advise and start the process of replacement, but what you'll be provided with as a replacement I can't say.

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Good morning Viva, 

Welcome back to the forums & thank you for taking the time to post. 

I am really sorry to hear that you have had some issues with your hub 5. 

I have managed to look over things from here & I can see that you have already spoken with our customer care team. 

If we are able to assist you further then please do let us know. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

Viva
On our wavelength

Thanks for all the comments.

Someone is said to be coming out in the 5 hours since my call earlier, hopefully with a replacement, going by what has been said above about the SH5 longevity. 

I will post as and when all is concluded. 

Once again, thank you for the responses. 

Viva
On our wavelength

Little update. 

I decided to try the same method I got to get a bricked device working, by quickly inserting and removing the power adapter as quickly as possible, multiple times for around a minute. 

I was not holding much hope that it would interrupt the constant (fast) flashing state, but after around 30 seconds of doing this the fast flashing changed to a slower pulsating flashing. I left it then for 15 minutes, then the blue light appeared and the internet returned. 

if anyone ever has this problem, it’s worth giving it a try. 

I phoned 150 to say that there was no need for the technician to come down today as I had been informed would, only to be told that none had been booked into the system, only the automated one I made for 5 days. I am sure it was a misunderstanding on the original outsourced (foreign) support call. But I was put on hold and specifically told someone would come out today.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting work around and thanks for sharing. The same day technician promise is just the latest in a long, colourful, sometimes tragic, but often hilarious list of blatant lies that have been told by VM agents in outsourced call centres in order to close the call and their ticket and been shared on these forums. In fact there might just be a book there for someone... 

Thanks for coming back to us @Viva and I'm sorry for any confusion that was caused the other day, when you thought a technician had been booked to come to your home.

How is your connection running at the moment?

Regards

Steven_L

Viva
On our wavelength

It really wasn’t a case of thinking, the lady in question put me on hold, returned and said she was booking someone in for the same day, within 5 hours. She did this whilst I was on the line. She even gave me her name and asked me to mention her in a survey, that she had been helpful. 

The calls are to my knowledge recorded.

I am glad I was able to resolve the problem myself, but it also shows that I cannot trust what VM says, which is even more damaging. 

Hi @Viva

My apologies for the inconvenience with your issue

Glad to hear you managed to get this resolved

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs