cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SuperHub 5 + Google WiFi outside of Modem mode, early feedback.

Viva
On our wavelength

I’ve had the SH5 up and running for just over an hour and rather than put it immediately into modem mode, then to my Google WiIFi setup, I decided to see how it fairs by simply connecting the mesh network to the faster port and then comparing the results around the home by switching between the two connections. 

The first thing is, it works fine from what I’ve experienced so far, no issues. Everything that was connected to Google WiFi is working and speeds are comparable to modem only mode. 

What I was far more interested in was to see how the native mode and connecting to the routers WiFi would fair around the house, with the previous superhub being nothing but a disaster for me, here. 

Downstairs, speeds full speed in rooms that otherwise would see a drop off. Good. 
Upstairs, two bedrooms, toilet and landing area which usually sees a huge drop off with the old router were also showing excellent results, even with 1 WiFi bar less. Speeds were hitting almost maximum. 

I switched between the Google WiFi (of course it’s not in modem mode) and that was showing slightly less speeds over the native WiFi connection. 

For once, I’m rather impressed by something from virgin. I’m on the 200mb broadband still, so not super fast by any means, also house size not big, but the previous router struggled to even send a useable signal to the bedrooms. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I think in any house that's a decent size or with sturdy interior walls, any single point router will never be as good as something multi point (think mesh units) especially as in the EU we are restricted to certain transmission strength of signal. Granted perhaps the hub3 was awful (it was, I initially went to power-lines and then onto mesh to ensure a good Wi-Fi signal throughout the property)

the first thing I did with the Hub 5 was put it into Modem mode and then hooked up the mesh, yes it will understandably be better than the hub 3 but I know it still won't compare with the mesh system, just a fact of life. 4 is better than 1 especially when spaced strategically around the house, both upstairs and down.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@Viva wrote:

I’ve had the SH5 up and running for just over an hour and rather than put it immediately into modem mode, then to my Google WiIFi setup, I decided to see how it fairs by simply connecting the mesh network to the faster port....

Not much point if the Google WiIFi does not have a 2.5Gb port... 

---------------------------------------------------------------

lotharmat
Community elder
Nice - Thanks for the review! - Glad to see that VM have put out a seemingly decent piece of kit!

I assume the SuperHub was the '2'

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
I assume you've set the Google Wi-Fi to AP/Bridge Mode to prevent any Double-NAT issues...?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

I think in any house that's a decent size or with sturdy interior walls, any single point router will never be as good as something multi point (think mesh units) especially as in the EU we are restricted to certain transmission strength of signal. Granted perhaps the hub3 was awful (it was, I initially went to power-lines and then onto mesh to ensure a good Wi-Fi signal throughout the property)

the first thing I did with the Hub 5 was put it into Modem mode and then hooked up the mesh, yes it will understandably be better than the hub 3 but I know it still won't compare with the mesh system, just a fact of life. 4 is better than 1 especially when spaced strategically around the house, both upstairs and down.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@techguyone wrote:

I think in any house that's a decent size or with sturdy interior walls, any single point router will never be as good as something multi point (think mesh units)

Or good PoE Access Point solution  🙂   But yes, a single router will not compare with a properly designed multi point access solution.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks