Menu
stitcherooni
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

SuperHub 3 keeps dropping 2.4ghz connection

Hi,

Ever since I've had the superhub 3, I've had constant issues with the 2.4 ghz connection dropping. I see there are numerous threads about this but none actually seem to be resolved aside from having an engineer visit. I've tried changing channels and other recommendations but no joy.

Would be grateful for any help! :-)

Thanks

0 Kudos
Tudor
Superstar
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: SuperHub 3 keeps dropping 2.4ghz connection

Because the Hub3, it’s not a SuperHub, as shipped by VM has the 2.4 and 5Ghz bands on the same name SSID. What you need to do is go into the settings and give the bands a different name, say xxx-2 and xxx-5. Then try connecting to each band in turn to see which is best. Password and both can be the same.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal
0 Kudos
stitcherooni
Joining in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Tudor,

Thanks for your reply. I have done that but it's not helped I'm afraid. Connection still goes every min or so and I have to disconnect from the network and connect again. Just about enough time to type a message!

Thanks.

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

The hub 3 wifi is poor so you may need to think about using modem mode and your own wireless router

0 Kudos
Andruser
Well-informed
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

You've downloaded and run Wifi Analyzer to check for interfering signals?

My Hub 3 randomly drops 2.4, no obvious trigger, seems to reconnect eventually, but if noticed I just login and turn the 2.4 wifi off, apply changes, and then on, apply changes.  But that's around once every two or three days, which is tolerable at the moment, but yours sounds unbearable.

Unfortunately, the root cause of the Hub 3's wireless problems is that the device was specified to be as cheap as inhumanly possible.  As a result the "equivalent retail price" of the Hub 3 router component is probably around fifteen or twenty quid.  If you imagine the quality of router you'd get for that price....well you don't need to imagine, you've got that.   The only real solution to the crap wifi of the Hub 3 is to stick it in modem mode and buy your own router, which I'm planning to do when the pennies permit.  At least that way you get to choose whether you want to buy a premium router that'll last years and do everything you throw at it, or a more modest but still capable device in the £35-60 bracket.

0 Kudos
stitcherooni
Joining in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your responses. I've just spent 30 mins on a call to Jamie in their support centre and apparently it's an issue with

a) the number of devices connected to the network
b) the signal in the house

It was working fine over the weekend and this morning but yes, has now become completely intolerable. I have Wifi analyser and have changed the channels but I'm not happy with the response from Virgin Media. I understand they can't guarantee Wifi and can only provide me with a wired inter connection but why would they then provide me with a sub-standard wireless device that keeps dropping the 2.4ghz connection. I've been with Virgin for many years and it's just got the point where I'm paying for something that can't be delivered.

I'll look into modem mode and have a look at buying a router.

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@stitcherooni wrote:

I'll look into modem mode and have a look at buying a router.

Don't buy cheap ones with 100Mb ports look for 1Gb ports.

0 Kudos
Andruser
Well-informed
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

"it's just got the point where I'm paying for something that can't be delivered."

If you feel strongly, raise a formal written complaint with VM following their complaints policy that the Hub 3 is inadequate for the task.  In the words of Which?, "The Consumer Right Act says that in addition to providing the broadband service with reasonable skill and care, your broadband provider has to ensure the router is as described, of satisfactory quality and fit for purpose."  So it is important this isn't about the one sided contract VM insist applies, it's consumer protection legislation.  Be specific, ask for compensation because they are in breach of the Consumer Rights Act and the poor performance of their device means you will have to buy your own router.  Sometimes they'll roll over and offer you maybe a one off forty quid discount, sometimes not.  If not, you can escalate to the industry arbitration service CISAS - costs you nothing, but check their website for customer guidance on how to do this.  I suspect CISAS would require that they compensate you to a similar £40-£60 value.

You could try for the price of really good router like the Asus mesh-capable devices (around £200), I don't think you'd get that, but you never know.  In terms of backing up your case, reference the call to the clown that claimed too many devices were connected (that's a load of crap), and trawl the forums for Hub 3 wifi problems - the numerous complaints will give plenty of supporting evidence that the Hub 3 is junk.

0 Kudos
Tudor
Superstar
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Most people do not require an extra router as they only use WiFi. What is need is just a good Wireless Access Point.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal
0 Kudos
Andruser
Well-informed
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

"What is need is just a good Wireless Access Point."

But why rely on the Hub 3 to do ANYTHING you can take off of it?  It's a crap modem, its crap at wifi, and there have been problems on the routing side in the past.  Why would any reasonable person conclude that it is competent as a router? 

I'm not knocking that a WAP works for you, just suggesting that anyone going to bypass the crap bits of the Hub 3 might as well bypass all of the wifi and routing aspects.