Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

SuperHub 3 i modem mode - slow internet until reboot

Hi Virgin,

My internet slows from 100MB+ to about 10-20MB until reboot every few days (has done for a year at least).

Here is a document with speed tests I have performed for the past few days but also the network errors reported on the router:

Link to Stats

Could you take a look at these and let me know if there's something wrong with the router? I've had it for a few years so there may be a newer model?

A few things:

- Yes, I have directly plugged the laptop into the router to measure speeds on speedtest.net and it suffers the same issue

- Yes, the modem is definitely in modem mode

- It's clear there are router issues here judging by the fact that if I reboot the router - the speed jumps right back up

- I have attached the network debugging stat so could someone check these over before asking me to perform more tests? I have researched this fairly exhaustively and believe I have tried everything

Thanks,

Roshan

My Broadband Ping - My Virgin Media Connection

My Gear
Virgin SuperHub (Modem Mode) > UniFi Security Gateway 3P > UniFi Switch (UniFi Switch 8 POE-60W) > 3 x UniFi Wireless Access Points (UniFi AP-AC-In Wall)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: SuperHub 3 i modem mode - slow internet until reboot

Hi,

I've seen a few people recently having issues with modem mode. Might be worth a pinhole reset which will set it back to router mode. I you are using your own router you can switch the wifi off on our hubs without having to put them in modem only mode. 

Hope this helps

Lee

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Cheers Lee,

I'll give a pinhole reset a go. Turning it back to router mode isn't a good idea though as both the virgin router and my router will both try and assign IPs, which will break things.

Is anyone able to check the logs I've provided?

I've seen other forum posts where engineers have checked over the power levels etc

Cheers

Roshan 

My Gear
Virgin SuperHub (Modem Mode) > UniFi Security Gateway 3P > UniFi Switch (UniFi Switch 8 POE-60W) > 3 x UniFi Wireless Access Points (UniFi AP-AC-In Wall)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

One SNR on your downstream is a bit low. Also there are some errors on one of the frequencies. Possibly a loose or poor connection. Make sure everything is tight on your feed cable coming from outside. It's difficult getting a tech booked right now for anything but total loss of service due to restrictions on work because of the coronavirus. 

Lee

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Lee. Wasn't after an engineering visit so that's OK - your feedback is great.

I'll have a look and shout if issued

My Gear
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I would definitely think about getting an engineer out if you continue to have issues after all the restrictions are raised. The low SNR would warrant it for sure.

Stay safe and good luck.

Lee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@rajtastic wrote:

Cheers Lee,

I'll give a pinhole reset a go. Turning it back to router mode isn't a good idea though as both the virgin router and my router will both try and assign IPs, which will break things.

...snip

It won't actually break things as the DHCP servers will be on different sides of your router - unless you have your LAN-side subnet set to 192.168.0.0/24 in which case your router will get very confused indeed!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Ah, very diplomatically put. Clearly you know more than this about me 🙂

My Gear
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I make your download channel 26, the one giving the problem, to be in the range of DAB radio frequencies, so it may be noise ingress from this. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@Murph0151 wrote:

Screenshot_20201106_185040_com.android.chrome.jpg

Who or what are you replying to?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos