cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SuperHub 3 Solid Red Light

GeordieJam
Joining in

Hi,

Our Superhub 3.0 has been showing a constant solid Red light for months now. At first there were no connection issues so I just left it. However my wifi connections are very temperamental now and some things do not connect at all. Checked online forums and keep seeing that this may be an overheating issue which can affect performance. Hub feels a little warm to the touch but certainly not hot and it is not in Modem mode. I have telephoned Virgin Customer Services multiple times trying to maybe get a replacement hub or an engineer visit but I keep getting fobbed off with "just reboot the device and wait 24hrs" which I have done god knows how many times. My Wife is starting to worry about it catching fire through the night now though, especially with us having two small children, so I am having to switch it off till morning. Surely something can be done?? Any advice or solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

158 REPLIES 158

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello woolwichuser, 

Thank you for reaching out to us here on the community. 

I am very sorry to hear you are experiencing an issues with your Hub showing a red light and feeling hot, we will be able to help. 

I am going to pop you over a private message to confirm a few details so that we may look in to this further. This message will be available via the purple envelope on the top right of this page. 

In the meantime, please ensure you are powering down the equipment overnight and when leaving the property.

Thank you,

Nat

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Jamiewtf, 

Thank you for posting on the Community.

Our apologies for the issues with the red light light showing on the Hub.

We would want to run a few checks from our side so I will send you a private message to take a few details now. 

This will be available via the purple envelope on the top right of this page. 

Speak soon, 

Nat

Hi @kirky010, thanks for posting and welcome back to our community.

Sorry to hear that you've got a constant red light on your hub 3.  I am guessing you've already checked here, at the drop down "Understand what the lights mean on the WiFi Hub".  For future reference, you may also wish to try a pinhole reset of your hub, as per here.  It essentially takes your hub back to factory settings, but clears most issues.  Please only try if you have access to the default WiFi password on your hub.  And also in the future you may wish to view our service status link.   Even if it's not an area fault, which in your case it sounds as though it's not.  You can log in and if necessary, book an engineer to attend your property.  However, as you've reached out to us, I would love to have a look on your behalf. I am going to send you a private message.  Please look out for the purple envelope in the top right of your screen.
Regards

Lee_R

Hi @woolwichuser and @Jamiewtf
Sorry to hear of the issues you're having with the red light on your hub 3.  I can see that my colleague has reached out to both of you.  If you continue to liaise with my colleague you will get the assistance you need.  Please do let me know if you've not received the private messages.

Regards

Lee_R

kirky010
On our wavelength
Hi, My connection is showing with loads of time outs and post errors, tech coming Tuesday to investigate.

Hi

Been reading comments on this subject because twice this year I have had the same thing happen with my SuperHub 3, after a month the light went back to white. This week the red light has been back for 2 days, I really don't want the trouble of resetting or getting my stuff back on a new modem has my hubby was the one who put in all the settings for the cameras and stuff on the tv. 

Just done a little dusting on the thing, and blew around it and noticed the light is changing back from red to white, just having to keep my eye now on this thing.

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @petty,

Thanks for your post, and welcome back to our Community Forums.

I'm sorry to hear you were facing issues with a red light on your Hub, but have since been able to get this sorted. As you've mentioned, sometimes dust and other debris can collect in the ventilation holes on the Hub and something as simple as dusting and blowing air around the Hub can clear this, and allow for the passive cooling to continue.

If you do continue to see issues with the red light, please let us know as this could indicate a larger issue.

Cheers,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ

SteveG57
Tuning in

Hi, having the same issue with the red light being on for a few days now, also noticed that no network devices are shown in the status even though I have a router connected to it and I'm typing this OK.

Tried reset stuff to no avail, not long got of the phone to support who said as nothing is showing their end it should be fine..

Steve..

Hi there,

I have the same red  light problem with my Hub3 as reported by others here. Its recent (about a week). I've powered down overnight but immediately I power up next day the red light is on. The hub runs warm but I would not describe it as hot. I have cleaned any dust out using a vacuun cleaner, the mesh looks clear and the internals "shiny". I checked connections but no change. Reckon I've had the Hub3 five years and this is the first problem with it.

Are  you able to help me with this problem please?

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @SteveG57,

Welcome back to our Community Forums! Thank you for your post and I'm sorry to hear that you're seeing the red light on your Hub! 

Is your Hub warm to the touch, or smells like burning at all? If so, we would encourage you to disconnect it from the main sockets as this could be a potential fire hazard. In order to have this issue looked into we would need to arrange a technician appointment. I will send you a Private Message so we can discuss this further.

Please keep an eye out for a purple envelope at the top right corner of your Forum page. I will be in touch soon.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs